Options

SSMS freezing with SQL Prompt

Randy_DavisRandy_Davis Posts: 2 New member
I have SQL Prompt installed with SQL Server Management Studio 17. It has been stable since installation several months ago.  A couple of weeks ago SSMS began freezing up regularly with indications pointing to a SQL Prompt problem. It appears to be analyzing my SQL Code and sometimes it just freezes. An icon begins to flicker in the row header of the Query Window. Sometimes after a minute or two, I'll get a message box reporting some non-critical syntax issues and I'll be able to dismiss the message box and continue working. Most of the time, however, I'll have to force close and restart SSMS. It will often freeze again before too long.

Is anyone else seeing this problem? How do I fix this? SSMS has become almost unusable.

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Russell DRussell D Posts: 1,324 Diamond 5
    Does disabling Code Analysis remove the crash?
    Have you visited our Help Centre?
  • Options
    dsbertdsbert Posts: 14 Bronze 2
    I'm having similar performance issues. It actually extends beyond SSMS locking up and my entire computer is slowed down until I force close SSMS. I've had stability issues with Redgate in the past, but it seems to have gotten worse in the last few versions.

Are there any debugging steps I can take to try to identify why these issues might be happening?
  • Options
    I guess you could look through a crash dump and try to verify what is causing the crash?
  • Options
    KeithKeith Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    Russell D said:
    I guess you could look through a crash dump and try to verify what is causing the crash?
    How much does something like that pay?
  • Options
    Keith said:
    Russell D said:
    Not sure I understand the question.
  • Options
    rhodrierhodrie Posts: 18 Bronze 3
    I had to rollback SQL Prompt v 9.5.5 to 9.5.3 as SSMS memory usage ballooned to 3 GB - inevitably performance plummeted.  I've braved 9.5.6 this morning, so I'll see how it goes.
  • Options
    KeithKeith Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    Russell D said:
    Keith said:
    Russell D said:
    Not sure I understand the question.
    If we figure out our own problem by looking through the crash dump, do we get a discount on our subscription or something?
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2019 7:52AM
    Oh I see. No, I doubt it very much, we don't traditionally offer bug bounties or anything like that. I was just answering your question about debugging steps.
    Eg if you figure out its a problem with Prompt (rather than, say SSMS), we'll obviously try to fix it.
  • Options
    Randy_DavisRandy_Davis Posts: 2 New member
    Hey all.  Thanks for all of your feedback on this issue. It was fixed with a simple upgrade to the most recent version.