Options

"Add quotes and commas" Bug - Changes Ctrl-End/End Behaviour

tonywaddletonywaddle Posts: 16 Bronze 1
Hi,

Ctrl-End usually puts the cursor to the end of the SSMS document, but if pressed too soon after using "Add quotes and commas" (i.e. before the formatting has been applied) it will instead take you to a different tab (seems to be the last visible tab) and apply the formatting to the entirety of text within that tab.

Steps to repeat:

Highlight section of text to format
Hit Ctrl to open the Action list
Type 'Add quotes'
Hit tab to apply 'Add quotes and commas'
Hit Ctrl-End (or just End) before the formatting is applied

Thanks,
Tony

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,132 Diamond 4
    Hi @tonywaddle,

What version of SSMS are you using and what version of SQL Prompt?  I've just tried this and it doesn't swap the tabs for me- it just formats the selection.  I've tried at various points in the processing of the formatting and also spamming the key combination to no avail.

The only way I can move tabs is Ctrl+F6 to cycle through or Ctrl+Tab to choose one.

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Options
    Hi @Alex B,

I've just updated to the latest versions for both and the problem still exists:

SSMS: v18.0 (15.0.18118.0)
    SQL Prompt: 9.5.3.9640

Here's a gif of the issue if that helps:
    https://imgur.com/a/oVqYL45?

I've been working around it for a while now so it's not a big deal.

I realise another solution is to not press End so quickly and you'd think after a few months I would have gotten used to that!   :)
  • Options
    Hi @tonywaddle

I've managed to reproduce the issue by adding a lot of text so that the operation took a bit longer for my system and using Ctrl+Tab to swap to a different tab.

I've reported it to the team with internal reference SP-7624 and will update you when I have more information, however, I do believe as there aren't any other reporters of the issue it's not going to be high priority and will likely not get worked on until there is a larger influx of people experiencing it.

I'll let you know!

Kind regards,
    Alex

• Options
    Hi @Alex B,

Does that mean you were unable to reproduce the error by just pressing "End" while waiting for the operation?
    In my opinion that's the bigger issue as it changes the behaviour of End - which I instinctively press to un-highlight the text and get the cursor to the end ready to continue typing.

Appreciate it's not a high priority but thanks for looking into this!

Cheers,
    Tony

• Options
    Hi @tonywaddle,

I've been mistaken this entire time - I was pressing Ctrl+End rather than just end.  I can see this now when just pressing "End" in quick succession from pressing enter to have SQL Prompt apply the quotes formatting.

I'll update the internal issue with that new information and let you know what the team come back with.

Sorry for the confusion!

Kind regards,
    Alex

• Options
    Hi @tonywaddle,

As we thought might happen, the team have come back indicating that due to the low occurrence of reports for this (e.g. only you) and there being a workaround (e.g. hang on a sec) they're not going to be able to devote time to this at present I'm afraid.

If there do end up being more reports the issue will be reassessed so do keep an eye out on the release notes.

Kind regards,
    Alex