Options

SSMS 2018 Tab History: Reconnect at Startup Not Working - Bug?

PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
Windows 8.1, SSMS 2018 (18.0) installed alongside 17.9.1.  Updated SQL Prompt to 9.5.2.9464.

To my surprise the first time I started 2018 it recognized my tab history, and automatically reconnected.  I had to modify the settings the SSMS installer DID NOT port over correctly from 2017 - font/background/scroll-map-wide/status-bar-tab-content, to name a few.  Closed SSMS to save the revisions (if SSMS pops its clogs, it reverts to prior closed-down settings).

Start SSMS 2018.  Up come the tabs.  NOT ONE of them reconnects.

Open Tab History.  I can see all the statuses, and all the different colors with their server names. Inquisitively, click an "Open" entry.  Wow!  Big let-down.  Bring-to-front, and that's it.  Tab History again: right-click in hopes...  Sadness: no "RECONNECT NOW" option.

So:
  1. Why did Reconnect at startup, a feature I suggested in Sept 2013, and was implemented in June 2015, not do its job on Start-up2?
  2. Why isn't there a right-click menu option in Tab History to "Reconnect Now"?
  3. Why can't the dialog stay open, so, in my case, I can reconnect the 4 query windows I want to work on?
But #1 is the most important, and looks like a bug of some kind...
Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
Decide wisely...
Tagged:

Answers