Options

SQL Prompt 9.5.1.9434 fails to launch

Opening SSMS this morning I was prompted to update to 9.5.1. It installed as usual, no errors. but it bombs when launching SSMS now.

I downloaded the installer to see if it would update the install but it simply says I have a newer version already installed.

Thanks!

From the ActivityLog.xml, the last entry is the failure message.

<record>267</record>
    <time>2019/05/02 15:03:27.079</time>
    <type>Error</type>
    <source>VisualStudio</source>
    <description>CreateInstance failed for package [SQLPromptSsmsPackage]Source: &apos;mscorlib&apos; Description: String cannot have zero length.&#x000D;&#x000A;System.ArgumentException: String cannot have zero length.&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark&amp; stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark&amp; stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly reqAssembly, StackCrawlMark&amp; stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadFrom(String assemblyFile, Evidence securityEvidence, Byte[] hashValue, AssemblyHashAlgorithm hashAlgorithm, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks, StackCrawlMark&amp; stackMark)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFrom(String assemblyFile, Evidence securityEvidence)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Activator.CreateInstanceFromInternal(String assemblyFile, String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, Evidence securityInfo)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.AppDomain.CreateInstanceFrom(String assemblyFile, String typeName)</description>
    <guid>{E33B8A3B-D1CF-4EB0-92AA-0590F0B55B1A}</guid>
    <hr>80004005 - E_FAIL</hr>
    <errorinfo></errorinfo>

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    awengaweng Posts: 7 New member
    edited May 2, 2019 3:22PM
    After updated to 9.5.1.9434, the SQL prompt is no longer working. I am using SSMS 17.9.1. Have to uninstall the SQL Prompt and re-installed 9.5.0.9311 version.
  • Options
    Dave PendletonDave Pendleton Posts: 104 Bronze 3
    Same here. For crying out loud...
  • Options
    mikegalushamikegalusha Posts: 4 Bronze 1
    FWIW, I am also using SSMS 17.9.1
  • Options
    AdamYAdamY Posts: 55 Bronze 3
    edited May 2, 2019 3:31PM
    Me too! What the heck?! And my Tab History button is gone. I used that a lot. My recent queries are no longer available. But if Tab History is part of SQL Prompt, then I guess that would make sense.
  • Options
    B_ShepardB_Shepard Posts: 5 New member
    The same is happening to me with SSMS v18.  I had to uninstall and re-install 9.5.
  • Options
    AdamYAdamY Posts: 55 Bronze 3
    The release notes say .NET Framework 4.7.2 or higher is required. I installed .NET Framework 4.8 just now but still have the SQL Prompt error.
  • Options
    rschlierbeckrschlierbeck Posts: 4 New member
    I have the same issue
  • Options
    EZLinksEZLinks Posts: 10 Bronze 2
    Same issue here. Where was the QA on this release?
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2019 4:34PM
    I uninstalled 9.5.1 with the intention of reinstalling 9.5 but can't find it on the site. How do we find the previous version to install?
  • Options
    laguylaguy Posts: 3 New member
    Upon startup the error message states invalid path. It indicates ..\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\.. while "Microsoft" does not exist, but only "Microsoft Corporation" is there. I searched and could not find instance of ActivityLog.xml. The folder where I can find some logs startting with "sqlpropmpt..." are in this folder instead "..\AppData\Local\Red Gate\Logs\.."

• Options
    Redgate, please provide download link for the previous 9.5.0.9311 build.
  • Options
    EZLinks said:
    Please make sure the download will allow installing over the newer version! I don't want to uninstall and lose all opened tabs history.
  • Options
    laguy said:
    EZLinks said:
    Please make sure the download will allow installing over the newer version! I don't want to uninstall and lose all opened tabs history.

Uninstalling SQL Prompt 9.5.1 did not delete my tabs history, but it is the only way to get 9.5.0 reinstalled.   
  • Options
    EZLinks said:
    You should be able to login to your Red Gate account, go to My Products and re-download "latest version".  The latest version link is NOT the new 9.5.1 update, just FYI, which is good.
  • Options
    B_Shepard said:
    EZLinks said:
    You should be able to login to your Red Gate account, go to My Products and re-download "latest version".  The latest version link is NOT the new 9.5.1 update, just FYI, which is good.
    Tried this but it definitely has the same issue.
  • Options
    mikegalushamikegalusha Posts: 4 Bronze 1
    I was able to uninstall and reinstall from the link in the sql prompt 9.5.1.9434 is here post and it's working with 9.5.0.9311. Obviously, won't be allowing it to update to the .1.9493 version again.
  • Options
    B_Shepard said:
    EZLinks said:
    I just did that again and it was the 9.0 build, yet the installer thinks it was the 9.5.1 build, so when it prompted to update to 9.5.0, it failed thinking a newer build was already installed.

I did however find the previous build in the C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\Temp\Red Gate\CFU folder, so I uninstalled the last build and re-installed the SQLPrompt_9.5.0.9311.exe build.

Did Redgate lose some of it's Dev or QA staff recently? These seem like very preventable issues.
  • Options
    EZLinks said:
    B_Shepard said:
    EZLinks said:
    I just did that again and it was the 9.0 build, yet the installer thinks it was the 9.5.1 build, so when it prompted to update to 9.5.0, it failed thinking a newer build was already installed.

I did however find the previous build in the C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\Temp\Red Gate\CFU folder, so I uninstalled the last build and re-installed the SQLPrompt_9.5.0.9311.exe build.

Did Redgate lose some of it's Dev or QA staff recently? These seem like very preventable issues.
    That worked. I uninstalled first and found 9.5.0 in there. Reinstalled and have all tab history back. Thanks!
  • Options
    EZLinks said:
    B_Shepard said:
    EZLinks said:

This worked for me also. Uninstalled 9.5.1 then found the 9.5.0 version where you listed and all is back to normal. Thank you.
  • Options
    challmanchallman Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    Same problem here. What a drag. C'mon Redgate. You can do better
  • Options
    Hi @mikegalusha et al

Apologies for the inconvenience.

We identified a problem in 9.5.1 and pulled the release. We were able to produce a fix which went out the next day in 9.5.2, so feel free to upgrade to this version:

http://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLPrompt/SQLPrompt_9.5.2.9464.exe 

We have identified a gap with our testing process and have taken steps to rectify this so that this issue doesn't occur again in the future.

Kind regards

Victoria Wiseman | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?