Options

Profile ASP.NET Core 2.1 web application

Is there a guide to capture ASP.NET Core 2.1 application and profile it.

I am using it with .csproj file but the only data it captures is the build web host and after that no data is captured.

My config is as below:

There is 
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi @arrelligu,

Thanks for your post!

The settings you have look fine, so I'm wondering if you perhaps need to select a different thread - if you go to the thread drop-down, is there another dotnet.exe thread available to view?

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Options
    Hi @arrelligu!

The build processes should actually be skipped and not shown in the results, so we've logged this as a bug with reference PP-4155 and will post here once we have an update.

If you are running into a different issue, however, please let us know!

• Options
    Hi @arrelligu!

I'm happy to report that this bug has been fixed in today's release of the profiler, ANTS Performance Profiler 10.1.9.147, available from Help>Check for updates.

I hope that helps, but please let us know if not!

• Options
    asharsashars Posts: 5 New member
    edited October 4, 2023 8:18AM
    Hey arrelligu,
    I feel your frustration with profiling ASP.NET Core 2.1 applications. Profiling can indeed be a tricky endeavor, but fear not, I'm here to shed some light on the matter.
    Firstly, ensure that you're using a reliable profiler tool. For ASP.NET Core 2.1, I recommend leveraging the power of Visual Studio Profiler, which can provide in-depth insights into your application's performance. Additionally, if you're looking for specialized expertise and support in optimizing your ASP.NET Core applications, you might want to consider consulting with companies like Andersen, known for their expertise in software development and performance optimization.
    Now, onto your configuration. The snippet you've shared seems alright. However, it's essential to make sure you're targeting the right process. As you rightly mentioned, it captures data for the web host, but often, you need to dig deeper.
    In your profiler tool, check the thread dropdown. Sometimes, there are multiple dotnet.exe threads running, each corresponding to different aspects of your application. Try selecting a different thread to capture more comprehensive data.
    In my experience, adjusting thread selection often does the trick. Give it a go, and you might unveil the profiling treasure trove you seek.