Connect to SQL Server on Linux behind a firewall

Hi.

I have a variety of SQL servers on Linux and Windows, both at my local site and off site behind a firewall. I can connect to all of them using jTDS/FreeTDS with no problems at all, however I cannot connect with SQL Compare. I checked and I can't use SQL Server Management Studio either.

I have searched both on Red-Gate and on the wider Internet and I can't find any resources that point me in the right direction. I have tried setting up VPN connections to make the remote site seem local, however I still haven't had any luck.

Any suggestions?

Regards.
Tagged:

Answers

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi, thank you for your forum post.

The fact that you cannot connect SSMS does not surprise me that you cannot connect SQL Compare either.

What TCP port is the SQL Server on Linux listening on?  By default SQL Server uses port 1433

In SQL Compare, when entering the SQL Server name or host name type the following in Server on the Project Configuration dialog box:

<ServerName>,<Port>   -  For example MyServer,1433.

Also ensure that any firewall will allow traffic from the machine running SSMS and SQL Compare through the firewall using the TCP port configured to connect to your SQL Server on Linux.

Many Thanks

Eddie

Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • FurryFuttockFurryFuttock Posts: 2 New member
    edited April 29, 2019 1:02PM
    Thanks Eddie.

This one was really weird. I could connect using jTDS, and also FreeTDS, but not SSMS or SQL Compare.

After a lot of toing and froing with support, I eventually but the bullet and did a full reinstall of SQL Server. After that, everything works!

Regards.