Options

How can I run code analysis on existing database using sql prompt?

vsotirovvsotirov Posts: 2 New member
I am trying to find how can I review existing code in stored procedures using sql prompt.

Answers

• Options
    Hi Vsotirov,

Thanks for posting on the Redgate forums.

SQL Prompt works with whatever query you have open within SSMS or Visual Studio. Therefore to get the benefits of SQL Prompt you need to open the query you are working on. Please do let me know if you need any further assistance.
    Kind regards,
    Dan Bainbridge
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software
  • Options
    vsotirovvsotirov Posts: 2 New member
    @Dan B I know how to use it for code I have open in SSMS and Visual Studio and I am already using it. I was trying to run the rules against legacy code my teammates created or integrate it as part of our deployment. We use AzureDevops pipeline for deployment.
  • Options
    Unfortunately SQL Prompt can't really work well in a pipeline environment as it currently doesn't have a command line feature available.

As you can see from the below roadmap, it's unfortunately the case that SQL Prompt will more than likely not have the command line as a feature for the foreseeable future:
    https://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-prompt/roadmap

To be honest, you are probably better off using SQL Code Guard with it's command line feature for the time being.

Please note that you won't be able to do formatting with SQL Code Guard and it will require a SQL Toolbelt License in order to use it in an automated setting.

Sean Quigley | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?