Options

Input DB to create SCA Project

Hi

Want to understand the best recommendation for Source DB to create a SCA Project, I mean what should i consider a Dev database or Prod Database, and why?

Thanks
Gill

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,781 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Gill

Thank you for your forum post.

I recommend that a Dev database as the Source DB for your SCA project.  Any changes to the Dev DB can then been tested using test or staging databases before being applied to your Production Database.

Optionally, you can configure the Production DB as the target during the starting wizard, this will import the Production database's schema into the project as a baseline.  Further reading here.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    I agree with what @Eddie D said. To add onto that, I would recommend a production db as the "target" when creating the project of you already have a production db.

I had some cases where we already had a shared dev db, but not a prod db. For these, I believe the best technique is to not set the "target db" during project creation. Set the development db to your own local, empty db. Then, connect to the shared dev db and import the existing objects as your first migration (rather than baseline).

If you do set the shared dev db as the target during project creation, you can run into some deployment challenges down the line related to the "baseline" script if the deployment target is not completely empty (e.g. If you have any users or std objects in your model db).  In that case, I have been able to resolve by either removing those objects or by:
    1) unchecking "mark first folder as baseline" in the project settings.
    2) adding <SkipBaselineCheck>True</SkipBaselineCheck> to the project file xml property group.