Options

Doesn't remember projects

tshadtshad Posts: 15 Bronze 2
Sql Compare seemed to remember my project from Sql Compare 5 when I upgraded and it remembers my new ones.

But Sql Data Compare 7 doesn't. Doesn't remember the old ones or the new ones.

Is there a setting I need to set?

Thanks,

Tom

Comments

• Options
    SQL Data Compare should prompt you to save a project if you have made changes. Please let us know if it isn't! SQL Compare 8 (soon to be released) will behave the same way. This means you can make modifications without worrying that you won't be able to recover to your previously saved state.

I hope this helps.

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    So this program works differently than it used to as far as saving comparison projects.

SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare used to work the same.

If you compared to databases, it would remember that and would put the last compare at the top of the list.

This is still how SQL Compare works.

Why (and when) did this change?

Thanks,

Tom
  • Options
    I think SQL Data Compare v6 took the change, but it wasn't until SQL Compare 8 that we introduced the analogous change.

There were three main reasons this changed:

1) We discovered that many of our users were creating one-off ad-hoc projects that were filling up their project list and making it unwieldy.
    2) Some users wanted to experiment with a project's settings without losing them. With auto-saves, there was no way to undo any changes.
    3) The auto-saving mechanism relied on a comparison before any settings would be saved. Therefore those users with a very large database were unable to save a project without first having to run a lengthy and unnecessary comparison.

I hope this explains why we reverted to explicit saving.

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    It does.

BTW, it would be nice to be able to right-click on the checkboxes in the Compare column of the Tables & Views tab and be able to "exclude all" or "include all" as we do in Sql Compare.

I find that if I only want to data compare one table, I have to uncheck all 100 tables one by one.

Thanks,

Tom
  • Options
    tshad wrote:

BTW, it would be nice to be able to right-click on the checkboxes in the Compare column of the Tables & Views tab and be able to "exclude all" or "include all" as we do in Sql Compare.

I find that if I only want to data compare one table, I have to uncheck all 100 tables one by one.

Which version of SQL Data Compare are you using? In v7, there are All and None buttons at your disposal. You can also select multiple rows by clicking on rows keeping Shift (for block selections) and Ctrl (for individual selections) pressed and use the space bar to toggle selections.

Let me know how you get on with this.

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software