Ignore User' permissions and role memberships

stevepatchesstevepatches Posts: 11
edited February 2, 2009 8:44AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I am having a problem with the "Ignore..User' permissions and role memberships option". It does not seem to work.

I am comparing a directory of scripts to a live database. The scripts directory does not include users. The only reference to users would be in the role membership statements in the roles scripts. When I run the compare it generates CREATE USER statements for all the users referenced in the role memberships. Based on the description of the above setting I would not expect it to do this.

What am I missing?

Comments

• The option will ignore the role memberships in the comparison but it doesn't affect the registration yet. It's on our feature request list to make the option affect registration as well as comparison (as SC-4267) but it isn't implemented yet.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • I am having a problem with the "Ignore..User' permissions and role memberships option". It does not seem to work.

I am comparing a directory of scripts to a live database. The scripts directory does not include users. The only reference to users would be in the role membership statements in the roles scripts. When I run the compare it generates CREATE USER statements for all the users referenced in the role memberships. Based on the description of the above setting I would not expect it to do this.

What am I missing?

Hi Steve,
    When the "Ignore .. User permission" option is set you should only see "sp_addrolemembers" for roles, i.e. only role membership is included. Synchronizing these roles will not bring over the users.
    When the option is not set, users will be synchronized as well as dependencies. A user must exist in a consistent database if a "sp_addrolemember" statement is used, therefore if the role membership is included in the sync (the option is not set), a user will be created. If you do not wish to sync the users, please make sure that the above option is set, and the users are not selected explicitly for synchronization. In version 8 the dependencies list will show you if the user has been included as a depenedency, and which object refers to it.

Regards,
    Andras
    András Belokosztolszki, PhD
    Red Gate Software Ltd.