SQL Search Not Working on SQL Authenticated Sources

I am using SSMS 17.9.1 with SQL Search 3.2.2.2221 on Windows 7.  When I connect to a Windows authenticated data source, SQL Search works.  When I connect via SQL authentication, SQL Search does not work and all of the boxes are grayed out.  Is this by design?  How do I fix this?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• AshaPatelAshaPatel Posts: 42 Bronze 5

Hi All,

Sorry for the inconvenience! This should be fixed in version 3.2.3 of SQL Search which was released today. Please let us know if you're still experiencing issues!

Thanks,

Asha 

Redgate Software Engineer

Answers

• OuyeahhOuyeahh Posts: 2 New member
    Same here, im unable to search anything. 
  • Hi @johnnydba and @Ouyeahh,

I have just reproduced this on a Windows 7 machine with 17.9.1 and SQL Search 3.2.2.2221.  I'm seeing this in the log file when using SQL Auth:
    13 Dec 2018 19:47:30.825 [41] ERROR RedGate.SQLSearch.Addin.Tab.DatabaseConnector - Could not load database list
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Login failed. The login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with Windows authentication.
    But when I try it on my Windows 10 machine with 17.9.1 and Search 3.2.2.2221 it works fine with both Windows and SQL Auth.

I can't try with Windows Auth as the test VM isn't connected to the domain at the moment but I believe this should work in either case since both SQL and Windows auth are enabled.

Are you seeing a similar entry in your log files?  You can find the log by clicking on "Help" at the top right of the tab and clicking "Logging", then "Open current log file".

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • JotEmIJotEmI Posts: 2 New member
    I have the same issue.
    Yesterday the log showed the exact same error:

13 Dec 2018 15:20:27.023 [9] ERROR RedGate.SQLSearch.Addin.Tab.DatabaseConnector - Could not load database list
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Login failed. The login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with Windows authentication.

But today I get a different error:

14 Dec 2018 07:44:55.844 [11] ERROR RedGate.SQLSearch.Addin.Tab.DatabaseConnector - Could not load database list
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): The target principal name is incorrect. Cannot generate SSPI context.

Im using SSMS 17.9.1 with SQL Search 3.2.2.2221 on Windows 10.
  • Hi all,

This appears to be an issue when connecting using SQL Authentication from a machine in a non trusted (or none at all) domain rather than a specific Windows version.  It started with 3.2.2 likely related to the work on adding Azure Active Directory support, but 3.2.1 will still work for the time being.  You can download it here:

ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SQLSearch/19Nov2018/SQLSearch.exe

I've raised this with the development team as SDI-753 and will update here when I have more information!

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • JotEmIJotEmI Posts: 2 New member
    Thanks, version 3.2.1 is working correctly.

Side note:
    v 3.2.2 wasn't working in SSMS but it did work in Visual Studio 2017
  • johnnydbajohnnydba Posts: 3 New member
    edited December 14, 2018 8:48PM
    I can confirm that my error is the same that you reproduced

12 Dec 2018 13:27:22.354 [13] ERROR RedGate.SQLSearch.Addin.Tab.DatabaseConnector - Could not load database list

And yes, the machine I'm using is on a domain but the SQL instances I'm accessing are on a different domain that the machine is not joined to.  I'm trying to SQL authenticate into them which works fine in object explorer but is not working for sql search.
  • OuyeahhOuyeahh Posts: 2 New member
    Same here:
    <br><pre class="CodeBlock"><code>ERROR RedGate.SQLSearch.Addin.Tab.DatabaseConnector - Could not load database list System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Error de inicio de sesión. El inicio de sesión se realiza desde un dominio que no es de confianza y no se puede utilizar con autenticación integrada.

• rmbudarmbuda Posts: 3 New member
    I have the same problem as @johnnydba.
    Windows 10 desktop running management studio 2012.
    SQL Search is not working with either 3.2.2 or 3.2.1.
    The database server is on a different domain from my machine so Im using sql authentication.

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Login failed for user 'mydomain\myuser'.
  • johnnydbajohnnydba Posts: 3 New member
    I can confirm the 3.2.3 version fixes the issue.  Thank you!