Options

Clear cached data

I'm running all my development environments (SQL, SSMS, VisualStudio, etc) within a VMware instance... which is backed up at least twice a week.  The size of the instance is ever increasing and I'm trying to find ways to reduce the size.

The following directory on my machine is currently sitting with over 3.5Gb of data (I only have SQL Source Control from Red Gate installed)...
C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Red Gate\

Can you please tell me what directories I can safely remove, keeping all my linked databases in place?

Is there any possibility that you could add something (say, through the options) that would safely remove those file for us, with all appropriate warnings?
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Options
    Tianjiao_LiTianjiao_Li Posts: 684 Rose Gold 5
    @stonefish

The linked databases are stored in 
    LinkedDatabases.xml
    in C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Red Gate\SQL Source Control 6. 

You can delete the log folder which can take up lots of space if you have debug logging turned on. Unless for debugging, I'd suggest you to set the log level to Serious or turn off completely. Please see instructions for setting the log level here: https://documentation.red-gate.com/soc6/troubleshooting/logging-and-log-files

Kind regards

Tianjiao Li | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Options
    Tianjiao_LiTianjiao_Li Posts: 684 Rose Gold 5
    Indeed you can clear Caches without any issues.

Generic Transients, WorkingBases are used to store snapshots of script folders. If you clean-up those folders, at the very least if things stop working you can do a re-link to your databases and everything should work again.
    Kind regards

Tianjiao Li | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?

Answers