Time taken the nodes in the Call tree

chitchatchitchat Posts: 17 New member
edited November 29, 2018 6:38AM in ANTS Performance Profiler
Here i expanded on method from the call tree....
My query here is the when i calculated the time taken the child elements its not matching with patent node time taken. While adding the time i am getting 2.882 instead of 3.001...The sum of values in the yellow box should match with the patent (green box value)....its not matching..
I have selected wall clocktime and seconds. Could anybody please help me to understand this?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4

Hi @chitchat and thanks for your post!

There are a few likely causes of the children nodes not adding up to the parent node:

1. If you are profiling in Sample method-level timings mode, sampling adds the least overhead but is also the least accurate profiling mode. As a result, timings may not add up to 100% in sampling mode. 

2. If you are not profiling in Sample method-level timings mode, the percentages shown in the call graph are as a percentage of the selected node (colored black), which may not be the immediate parent of the nodes you are looking at. (from your screenshot though, I don't think this is the problem in this case)

3. An estimate of the profiler's overhead is subtracted from results by default, and too much may be subtracted. Do you get the same result if you turn off the option Tools>Advanced Options>Adjust timings to compensate for overhead added by the profiler and profile again?

Can we please check if any of these may be the case?

(we've got a documentation page on interpreting unexpected results here: https://documentation.red-gate.com/app10/troubleshooting/common-issues/interpreting-unexpected-results)

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?