What are the project settings in SSRS deployment and what do they mean and refer to?

What are the project settings in SSRS deployment and what do they mean and refer to?

I have successfully created my first SSRS project in Visual Studio. The deployment process requires setting up the TargetServerURL and the TargetServer Version. These are the only two items that I know are correct. The tutorial I have been watching does not go into the other items and does not clarify what they are and what they are used for. What are the following items referring to?

•TargetDatasetFolder
•TargetDataSourceFolder
•TargetReportFolder
•TargetReportPartFolder

The default settings for OverwriteDatasets and OverwriteDataSources was False and this is probably why my deployment attempt  threw a nondescript error. So, now, perhaps if I try again, my deployment will create these folders on the server by force, but I would rather not do this because the database manager has already given me the names of the folders where I should deploy. So, how are these Folders arranged? Please advise.

When I try to do a build, the  output window says:

------ Build started: Project: Rules Report Project, Configuration: Debug ------
Skipping 'DefaultReport.rdl'. Item is up to date.
Build complete -- 0 errors, 0 warnings
------ Deploy started: Project: Rules Report Project, Configuration: Debug ------
{deploy to server message redacted}
Deploying report '/Rules Report Project/DefaultReport'.
Error rsInternalError : An unexpected error occurred in Report Processing.
Deploy complete -- 1 errors, 0 warnings
========== Build: 1 succeeded or up-to-date, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========
========== Deploy: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

"Rules Report Project" is listed as being default value for TargetReportFolder in the project settings.  So, now I try assigning this value the value of a directory I know exists for me on the server.  When I do this, I have a different error message.  This time, when I do a deploy, I get a different message in the output window:

------ Build started: Project: Rules Report Project, Configuration: Debug ------
Skipping 'DefaultReport.rdl'. Item is up to date.
Build complete -- 0 errors, 0 warnings
------ Deploy started: Project: Rules Report Project, Configuration: Debug ------
{deploy to server message redacted}
Deploying report '/{Folder Name}/DefaultReport'.
Error rsAccessDenied : The permissions granted to user '{somethin'}\{my username}' are insufficient for performing this operation.
Deploy complete -- 1 errors, 0 warnings
========== Build: 1 succeeded or up-to-date, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========
========== Deploy: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

So I have one of two options:

1. Either I need to be granted read/write permissions to the sever or[/li]
2. I need to know the location of the other folders and I need to have them named[/li]

Please advise.

Tagged:

Answers