Options

Lost my tab history when upgrading from 7.3 to 9.3.1

John_DJohn_D Posts: 3 New member
edited October 11, 2018 1:11PM in SQL Prompt
I upgrade my SQL Prompt from 7.3 to 9.3.1 this morning.  When I relaunched SSMS after the upgrade, my tab history is totally wiped out.  Is there a way to recover it or do I truly lose everything after upgrading?  I don't remember reading any warnings about losing tab history.  I am pretty sure it has stayed there on past upgrades.

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Best Answer

• Options
    Alright, my blood pressure just went down a little bit.  I discovered all of my settings under my local user account folder.  I was able to copy them over to the Prompt 9 folder and got back everything.  Not sure why it wasn't done automatically during the upgrade but glad I didn't lose everything.  Maybe this will help someone in the future.

Answers

• Options
    I just discovered that I also lost my environments and tab colors.
  • Options
    TylerTyler Posts: 2 New member
    edited November 13, 2018 8:42PM
    I've experienced the same thing at a previous org specifically with full-version upgrades. As you stated, it's not too difficult to find and move the folders assuming you have the right access.

I don't believe you can move the settings file between versions to similarly recover your tab colors, unfortunately.
  • Options
    EdCardenEdCarden Posts: 134 Silver 1
    John_D said:
    Alright, my blood pressure just went down a little bit.  I discovered all of my settings under my local user account folder.  I was able to copy them over to the Prompt 9 folder and got back everything.  Not sure why it wasn't done automatically during the upgrade but glad I didn't lose everything.  Maybe this will help someone in the future.

Where exactly did you find the Tab History files?  The only thing in any of my SQL Prompt folders are Snippets; not tab history and I have a lot of tab history info I count on
  • Options
    EdCarden said:
    John_D said:

Where exactly did you find the Tab History files?  The only thing in any of my SQL Prompt folders are Snippets; not tab history and I have a lot of tab history info I count on

@John_D - Never mind I figured it out thanks to a top[ (I'll post here) form another user in another thread,.
  • Options

If you have lost your Tab History after an update to SQL prompt try the following:

Navigate to the `%LOCALAPPDATA%\Red Gate\SQL Prompt x` (where x is your previous version) and copy the `SavedTabs.db` file into the new folder (SQL Prompt 9). It worked on my side.

NOTE: This WILL Over write any tab history you have created since the update.