Options

Does RG old version of the tools support all new upcoming SQL Server versions?

Hi,

I have a question about supporting SQL Server versions. If I buy RG tool now and decide not to renew my license in 3-4 years, but want to use the tool on newer SQL Server version over time (2017 or 2018 when it's out), will I be able to do so? I'm not sure if I will need to renew my license and upgrade to the newest version of the tool, so I can use the tool on the newer SQL Server version?

Answers

• Options
    AlexYatesAlexYates Posts: 264 Rose Gold 2
    edited September 12, 2018 9:48AM
    That's one of the primary reasons you should buy support and upgrades. The folks at Redgate invest quite a lot of money in updating the tools to support the latest versions. They need to fund that investment somehow.

If you only want to use the tools in the short to medium term and are happy with the existing functionality don't buy support and upgrades.

However, if you want to benefit from Redgate's ongoing investment to support the latest and greatest new features you should buy support and upgrades.

Alternatively, you can choose not to renew and pay to upgrade it in the future. I've not worked in RG sales for a few years, but when I was a Redgate sales person it was deliberately priced so that renewing every year would almost always work out the most cost effective.
    Alex Yates
    DevOps Mentor and Coach

Director of DLM Consultants
    Creator of Speaking Mentors
    Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Friend of Redgate
    Twitter / LinkedIn