Options

.NET app crash only during profiling

Hi RG,

What should I do if my app crashes only during profiling with a random exception?

I am working on a .NET 3.5 project with AnyCPU platform setting on a Vista Business x64 PC.

Thanks,

Alberto

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

It's going to be difficult to give advice about random failures in the code even if it is ANTS Profiler's faul. Most commonly, there are problems with code that profuces and JITs its' own IL code because ANTS Profiler's IL rewriting is trying to do exactly the same thing. In this case, you can get method-level timings, but line-level timings would cause this type of crash.

Changing ANTS Profiler to only use method-level timings should hopefully work for you.
  • Options
    Hi Brian,

No, it doesn't help and I really find it difficult to understand your explanation.

Thanks,

Alberto
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    I'm sorry you didn't understand my post. All I am saying is basically there are some applications that will work when you profile using the "method-level timings" setting and not "line-level timings" because ANTS Profiler injects code into the application while it is running. If your application does the same thing, then it may fail. Even if you are just using third-party dlls that do this. And I'm afraid I don't know any way to detect if this is happening or know what you can do about it. Except not to use line-level timings only in the ANTS Profiler settings.
  • Options
    So unreferencing third party DLL may help?

Why it didn't happen on Vista Business x86?

Thanks,

Alberto
  • Options
    Hi Brian,

After fixing a few things the problem is not so frequent as before. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks,

Alberto