Options

Slow performance of Object Explorer and SSMS in general

I'm got the latest version of Redgate Toolkit installed. SSMS has been performing very slowly for the past couple of weeks. Expanding the databases, tables, any objects freezes the SSMS and returns to normal after 10 -15 secs. I've tried SSMS without Redgate and works much better. Any suggestions on how this can be improved?

Thanks
Syed Imtiaz.

Comments

• Options
    MikielAgutuMikielAgutu Posts: 29 Silver 1
    edited August 1, 2018 1:54PM
    Hello Syed

Have you checked your machine meets the minimum requirements for each Redgate product you have installed? You can check the requirements on the documentation site. For instance, the system requirements for SQL Prompt are here: https://documentation.red-gate.com/sp9/getting-started/requirements. Also it might be worth checking the system requirements for SSMS.

Can I also ask which Redgate tools you have installed?

Thanks
    Mikiel Agutu | Software Engineer | Redgate Software
  • Options
    Also, what's the count(*) from sysobjects for your database(s)
  • Options
    ychrisnyychrisny Posts: 1 New member
    I am also having the same problem, running SSMS 17.9

I have 719 sysobjects in my database. 
  • Options
    719 is a busy db, but not that crazy. Some of this is the time it takes for comparisons of objects and refreshing. You can lower the refresh rate if you're working in a dedicated model. If you have a shared database, be careful of doing this, or make sure when you check the commit tab, that you examine changes which might be made by others. There could be conflicts or overwrites you want to be aware of.

The other suggestion I have is to use SQL Search more to find objects rather than browsing the OE. I tend to browse myself, but that's a poor habit and it can be slow compared to searching for objects. If you have the toolbelt, I'd also use the dependency tracker to get a pick list of items to work on based on a change. So if I change a table, I can get dependent objects to check and order my work with the dependency tracker information.

Prompt also has a lot of data about objects, which can reduce the time spent in OE.

I know these are workarounds and cumbersome. There is some ongoing work with SQL Source Control, but with the nature of trying to capture changes and update the user, this just isn't a fast process, especially because SSMS doesn't make this easy.
  • Options
    The_NeighborThe_Neighbor Posts: 1 New member
    edited December 12, 2018 12:33PM
    I've experienced the same with SSMS 17.9 and Prompt 9.4.4.7199. Was causing a lot of headache when typing mainly. Disabling `Enable Code Analysis` solved it pretty fast. It's a nice feature however too heavy.. 
    p.s. I'm Running i5-3210m, 16GB DDR3 1600, 2 SSDs (Crucial, OCZ) and the sysobjects count is 3k +