Options

Has commit dependencies being ticked delberately become a persistent default

It used to be the case that the app remembered the last choice you made on whether this checkbox was ticked. Now it is always ticked on every run so if you cancel and then manually check another item and go past that step it forgets you unticked it  on last go and it is easy to accidentally then commit more items than you meant to. 

if your preference is for it remain unticked (as the dependencies detected aren't always the ones you want , and the app still doesn't give the option to select individual dependencies, it's all or nothing) then i was used to being able to untick it once and leave that as my default. Now i have to be vigilant and uncheck on every run. 

Why has this changed?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    kalokalo Posts: 84 Bronze 5
    edited August 3, 2018 9:54AM Answer ✓
    I think this might be the feature which has disappeared at some point : so i've logged a support ticket

Trying James' advice below to add in the xmlnode, the file removes it when the app next updates the file.

Answers

• Options
    Hello

May I ask which version of SQL Source Control you have installed, and the last version where this behavior you described worked?

Thanks
    Mikiel Agutu | Software Engineer | Redgate Software
  • Options
    Hi, 

I am on 6.2.1 at the moment 

(unable to update to 6.2.2 whilst i wait on some clarification on one of the release notes[SC-10177]) 

regards.
  • Options
    Hello

I've installed an earlier version of SQL Source Control (5.7.4), and as far as I can see the behavior is the same as it is now. I've asked other developers on the team and they also have no recollection of this feature.

Can you contact Redgate support, providing the version of SQL Source Control that has the behavior you described in your first post?

Thanks.
    Mikiel Agutu | Software Engineer | Redgate Software
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2018 1:00PM
    Thanks for the response.

Is the below the kind of test you did? 

1. Comparison shows some objects
    2. I select synonym only
    3. Dialog tells me i ought to commit the schema
    4. I un-check the commit box but decide to cancel out to select other items
    5. I select another item (not the schema) and commit again
    6. The Dialog pops up again to warn about schema but reverts back to being checked : which means you have to be vigilant and observe this revert back as to hit continue would commit an unintended item*.

I'm pretty sure it didn't use to do this but remembered your last selection (checked/unchecked) as your preference (as the behaviour is in SQL Compare where the commit checkbox defaults to what you last had it as).
    I could be talking out of my hat if you went through similar steps on your older version and it has always defaulted back to checked. 
    But when i get chance i will install my original sql toolbelt version and give it a test.

* in this example the schema ought to be checked in, but had to come up with example on an existing db i had access to 

• Options
    Hi @kalo,

As you can see this is an intended change made about 3 years ago, we would need to have sufficient evidence for changing this behaviour again. Can you please kindly post your suggestion on our user voice forum so that other people can vote for it?
    Kind regards

Tianjiao Li | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Options
    Hi @kalo,

As you can see this is an intended change made about 3 years ago, we would need to have sufficient evidence for changing this behaviour again. Can you please kindly post your suggestion on our user voice forum so that other people can vote for it?
    I think you have misunderstood my last post : i wasn't asking for the behaviour to change, i was asking for the behaviour to work as i expected.

I originally posted that i needed to be able to suppress the checkbox tick and have the app remember but was told that wasn't possible - even though the app had been behaving that way for me.

But then found in the release notes that this was possible albeit having to hack the xml ourselves. In James' post from 2015 he says set the xml value to false. I did this but it still didn't work.

I logged a support call and Sergio directed to me some documentation:
    https://documentation.red-gate.com/soc6/configuring/change-the-default-for-the-checkbox-on-the-dependencies-selection-screen

which points out that has to be False not false : resetting the case-sensitive node in the UI options to this value then at least set the default checkbox state to OFF.

So i think an upgrade along the way had removed the node i'd manually inserted into the xml file myself and therefore the behaviour i'd come to expect for the last 3 years had stopped working that way.

It would probably be clearer if the xml didn't have to be doctored by the user manually but could be set in the options screen of the application itself, so i might log that request on user voice forum.

thanks.

• Options
    Hi @kalo,

I think you have misunderstood my last post : i wasn't asking for the behaviour to change, i was asking for the behaviour to work as i expected.

I originally posted that i needed to be able to suppress the checkbox tick and have the app remember but was told that wasn't possible - even though the app had been behaving that way for me.

But then found in the release notes that this was possible albeit having to hack the xml ourselves. In James' post from 2015 he says set the xml value to false. I did this but it still didn't work.

I logged a support call and Sergio directed to me some documentation:
    https://documentation.red-gate.com/soc6/configuring/change-the-default-for-the-checkbox-on-the-dependencies-selection-screen

which points out that has to be False not false : resetting the case-sensitive node in the UI options to this value then at least set the default checkbox state to OFF.

So i think an upgrade along the way had removed the node i'd manually inserted into the xml file myself and therefore the behaviour i'd come to expect for the last 3 years had stopped working that way.

It would probably be clearer if the xml didn't have to be doctored by the user manually but could be set in the options screen of the application itself, so i might log that request on user voice forum.

thanks.

• Options
    Hi @kalo

I apologise for misunderstanding your post. I'll ask the development team to confirm the current behaviours (making default to select all dependencies and not remember the last choice) are as expected or not as I couldn't find anything in the release note about these change.
    Kind regards

• Options
    Hi @kalo

The development team has confirmed the expected behaviour is that the default is to select all dependencies and we've never had functionality to remember the user's last choice.

As you mentioned already, you 
    can change the default to not select all dependencies by editing the RedGate_SQLSourceControl_CommonUI_UIOptions.xml file in AppData/Red Gate/SQL Source Control 6.
    Kind regards