When will we be able to compare compressed backups from SQL Server 2012 or later?

After attempting to use a SQL Server 2016 compressed backup as a source in a SQL Compare project today I received an error stating "...uses a compression format that is not supported.".

I then found in the Redgate documentation that using a SQL Server Native Backup that has compression is not supported in SQL Server 2012 or later. 

"You can't compare compressed backups from SQL Server 2012 or later."
https://documentation.red-gate.com/sc13/working-with-other-data-sources/working-with-backups

Is this planned on being fixed? If so, is there a date it should be delivered?

This feature of using compressed backups as a compare source isn't really useful when it only works with versions of SQL Server that are End of Life or are in Extended Support and about to become End of Life.
Tagged:

Answers

• Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Hi @DBA_Merritt,

Unfortunately, there are no plans to support compressed native backups from later version of SQL Server  in the near to medium term.  I have put a reference this forum post in the internal issue with reference SC-6945 related to this issue so they can see the demand for this functionality which may influence their decisions in the future.

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • jimmaiorjimmaior Posts: 1 New member
    I wish this feature was available.  I frequently need to compare backups, and it would be useful to not have to restore them first.
  • DanAzzXCMDanAzzXCM Posts: 4 New member
    I am surprised this isn't being planned, it is a major pain having to restore large databases to be able to compare.
  • DanAzzXCMDanAzzXCM Posts: 4 New member
    I am surprised this isn't being planned, it is a major pain having to restore large databases to be able to compare.
  • MJBMJB Posts: 3 New member
    Auditors require comparisons post CHANGEs of LIVE versus previous backup, and have hit this same error for the first time.
  • lwulferslwulfers Posts: 2 Bronze 1
    edited April 8, 2020 8:28PM
    Come on people, its 2020 and this still doesn't work....   Given that most DBAs and Administrators HAVE to compress backups to run thier systems, this should be a top priority if you intend to keep the compare backup to database feature.  Please bump this up in priority.

Thank you.
  • paulc635paulc635 Posts: 1 New member
    I too came up against this issue, one of the reasons I purchased your software was so that it was possible to perform a comparison with database backups - as a DBA I do this all of the time. I find it difficult to imagine why you would not like to make this your top priority to resolve, as I am sure it will force some to use alternative software when it comes to renewal time:)
  • BTPBTP Posts: 12 Bronze 2
    I have been putting up with this for sometime now also.  I have to manually restore to perform a compare.  time consuming
    Darren Lawrence
    Developer
  • Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Hi all,

I've put another note in the issue I mentioned above, but the best thing to do now is to go to the SQL Data Compare Uservoice and raise this there, as that is where the product manager also uses the to gauge demand.

I've found this existing suggestion https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/147879-sql-data-compare/suggestions/39790798-read-from-sql-native-compressed-backups that covers this request.  Please vote on that and add a comment for any thoughts as well.

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?