Options

Unable to attach to .NET 4+ process

I'm getting the error "ANTS Memory Profiler couldn't attach to the process you selected, because another profiler is already attached to this process".

I already looked for the flags COR_ENABLE_PROFILING and COR_PROFILER. I found several instances but I don't want to delete anything in the registry.

We have New Relic monitoring the service I'm trying to attach the profiler. But we previously used the profiler over this service without problems. We even confirmed in New Relic the moment when we attached the profiler, because we saw the New Relic data stopped during the profiling.

How can I check/confirm what exactly is blocking the profiler to attach to my service?

I need to monitor the memory use of my service because it's becoming unresponsive at some points and we are forced to restart it, which affects our production environment.

Regards.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    Russell DRussell D Posts: 1,324 Diamond 5
    With any COR_ENABLE_PROFILING​ and COR_PROFILER​ flags set in the registry you won't be able to attach to any processes. The Profilers need to be able to hook into a process, and if there are any of these flags present it is unable to do so. I'm afraid that New Relic is one of the worst programs for running along side ANTS, as it often inserts these flags and hooks processes automatically, thereby completely blocking ANTS ability to hook anything.

If you want to find out what is locking it you can use ProcMon from Microsoft/Sysinternals and see if that shows you what has it open. I will just reiterate though New Relic in particular makes using ANTS incredibly difficult.
    Have you visited our Help Centre?

Answers

• Options
    RTGSupportRTGSupport Posts: 2 New member
    We were under the impression that with a previous ANTS version we were able to attach and New Relic was simply cut off from the service.

I guess we'll have to work with what we have now.

Thanks for your response.