Options

Always asking to Create New Project

shaffersh1shaffersh1 Posts: 4 New member
edited July 2, 2018 8:25PM in SQL Change Automation
I frequently get random errors which I cannot clear (Object reference not set to an instance of an object - full message below). After closing VS and restarting, SQL Change Automation asks me to Create A New Project. I already have a project with a bunch of migration scripts. My ReadyRoll project is selected in the dropdown, but it still does not recognize it (https://www.screencast.com/t/33EmjOW5tRn). This has been happening with both ReadyRoll and SQL Change Automation. I have tried completely reinstalling VS Enterprise as well. I am pulling me hair out. I often have to delete my project and start over again (had to do this twice last week) because of instability in ReadyRoll. Please help.

Full Error Message:
Message = Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Data = System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal
InnerException = 
TargetSite = Void CompareSandboxToProject()
StackTrace =    at RedGate.Versioning.Client.VsShell.VisualStudio.PendingChangeModel.CompareSandboxToProject()
   at RedGate.Versioning.Client.VsShell.VisualStudio.PendingChangeModel.<CompareSandboxToProjectAsync>d__77.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at RedGate.Versioning.Client.VsShell.VisualStudio.Commands.RefreshCommand.<ExecuteAsync>d__14.MoveNext()
HelpLink = 
Source = RedGate.Versioning.Client.VsShell.VisualStudio
HResult = -2147467261
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    MikielAgutuMikielAgutu Posts: 29 Silver 1
    edited July 3, 2018 10:04AM
    Hello

Sorry you're encountering problems with SQL Change Automation.

First, try updating to the latest version of the SQL Change Automation Visual Studio Extension.

If that doesn't work, please contact support@red-gate.com. If you can prepare a zipped folder containing the project that's crashing also. This will help us debug the problem and find a solution for you.

In the meantime, it's possible to recover your progress even if the project cannot be loaded. First, you can create a new project and connect to your development database that has the changes. Second, you can copy the migration scripts from your existing project into a new one.

Thanks
    Mikiel Agutu | Software Engineer | Redgate Software
  • Options
    shaffersh1shaffersh1 Posts: 4 New member
    Thanks for getting back to me. I have upgraded to the latest version, but the problem is still there.

Where can I upload the project for you? It is quite large.

I have recreated the project and readded the scripts many time. The problem is that it just does it again a few days later. 
  • Options
    Hello

Sorry you're still experiencing this issue. If you contact Redgate support at support@red-gate.com we can assist you further. Our support system provides a mechanism for uploading large files.

Thanks
    Mikiel Agutu | Software Engineer | Redgate Software