Compared objects encrypted?

coavlanchecoavlanche Posts: 12 New member
We currently use Oracle Schema compare in an SSIS solution to keep DB objects in sync.  With this solution we are able to use the project files (.ocp) to do further processing on the DB objects by reading the XML in the project file to get the names/schemas of the DB objects that are being compared and deployed.  We wanted to use SQL Compare in the same manner to manage our SQL Server DB objects.  I downloaded the trial and setup a project with the DB objects I need to keep synced.  I then noticed that the list of DB objects that are selected seem to be encrypted in some manner.  Is there a way to turn this off so that these DB object names can be read with XPath?

Thanks,
Alan Sloan
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Michelle TMichelle T Posts: 566 Gold 1
    edited June 20, 2018 10:27AM Answer ✓
    Not currently - the object names aren't encrypted, they're compressed (because you can end up with some very large project files otherwise).

Instead of trying to use the project file, you can generate an XML report of a comparison (either via the command line or Generate Comparison Report from the Tools menu), which you may be able to use in a similar fashion?
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software

Answers

• coavlanchecoavlanche Posts: 12 New member
    Thanks!  I may give that a try.
  • coavlanchecoavlanche Posts: 12 New member
    Not currently - the object names aren't encrypted, they're compressed (because you can end up with some very large project files otherwise).

Instead of trying to use the project file, you can generate an XML report of a comparison (either via the command line or Generate Comparison Report from the Tools menu), which you may be able to use in a similar fashion?
    That isn't going to work for me.  I need to be able to read the objects being compared in XML in the project file so that I can do some processing before the compare runs.  With Oracle Schema Compare, this is easy to do as the object names aren't compressed.  Is there a back-rev version of SQL Compare which doesn't compress these values, and if so could I use that version to create the project file and then use that (older) project file to run the compare with version 13?  I know it's a long shot but without this things are going to get very complicated.
  • I'm afraid it's been like that for a very long time now. One thing you might want to look at is using an XML argfile rather than a project file: see https://documentation.red-gate.com/sc13/using-the-command-line/using-xml-to-specify-command-line-arguments for more details.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software