THREADPRIORITY setting from GUI

This is a great command-line option, but can we add this option to the GUI (right around where you set thread count in the GUI would be a reasonable place to expect this setting)?

Currently what I do is create the job(s) using the GUI, then I manually go into SQL Server Agent and edit the job step by adding the THREADPRIORITY option to the command line there. Of course if someone comes in and modifies the job through the SQL Backup GUI, there go my changes...

Personally I can work around this on my own systems. But if I need to train clients how to use the GUI (let's say they are not so technically inclined), I'd rather not have to show them this kind of back door / unstable approach.

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

As you have already discovered, unfortuantely you cannot configure this SQL Backup argument using the SQL Backup GUI.

Therefore I have submitted a Feature Request, for the development team to consider, to be able to configure the THREADPRIORITY argument when configuring a backup or restore job when using the Backup Wizard, Restore Wizard, Schedule Backup Wizard and Log Shipping Wizard.

The reference for this request is SB-3796.

I cannot guarantee that this feature request will be approved and if approval is given in what future version of SQL Backup this feature will appear in. I will be maintaining a watch on the feature request submitted and will update this forum post when I obtain further information.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Best Regards
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • brosatobrosato Posts: 89 Bronze 2
    I don't mean to sound like an ass but I'm sure it will be taken that way so here goes.

This is not the only option that has to be set by manually editing the job. It really sucks as the GUI is one of the main selling points of this type of software and I can't even look at my jobs in the GUI anymore because of this.

It would take all of about 1 hour of programming time to throw on a checkbox on the form and add the command to the job. Why would you add a feature/function and then not finish it by leaving it out of the GUI?
  • Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

We are gradually adding support for most of the keywords in the UI. For the next release (5.5) we are adding support in the UI for 'Different purge options for the local and network drive'.

We are also in process of planning for the release after next. We are planning to do quite a bit of work around making editing of job easy as well as not loosing any changes when the jobs are edited via the UI.

Both of yours feature request is high priority on our list too so hopefully will make into one of the future releases soon.

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • brosatobrosato Posts: 89 Bronze 2
    priyasinha wrote:
    Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

We are gradually adding support for most of the keywords in the UI. For the next release (5.5) we are adding support in the UI for 'Different purge options for the local and network drive'.

We are also in process of planning for the release after next. We are planning to do quite a bit of work around making editing of job easy as well as not loosing any changes when the jobs are edited via the UI.

Both of yours feature request is high priority on our list too so hopefully will make into one of the future releases soon.

Thanks,
    Priya

Well, that is good to hear. Thanks for the reply.