RedgateClient service cannot start no matter what I do

shizikshizik Posts: 3 New member
This is what the log looks like. I reinstalled everything few times, but nothing solves the issue.

08 Jun 2018 17:58:14.849 [4] INFO  RedGate.Client.Service - Starting...
08 Jun 2018 17:58:15.255 [4] INFO  RedGate.Client.PluginRunner.Runner - Autoupdate install directory set to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Red Gate\Shared Client\
08 Jun 2018 17:58:15.300 [4] ERROR RedGate.Client.PluginRunner.Runner - No latest package found.
08 Jun 2018 17:58:15.301 [4] WARN  RedGate.Client.PluginRunner.Runner - Failed to load plugins - reverting to last known good set
System.IO.FileLoadException: No latest package found.
   at RedGate.SimpleAutoUpdater.AutoUpdateClient`1.LoadLatest(Object[] constructorArgs)
   at RedGate.Client.PluginRunner.Runner.LoadLatestVersionsOfPlugins()
08 Jun 2018 17:58:15.304 [4] WARN  RedGate.Client.PluginRunner.Runner - Cannot set last package as 'Bad' because no packages have been loaded.
08 Jun 2018 17:58:15.306 [4] ERROR RedGate.Client.PluginRunner.Runner - No known good package found.
08 Jun 2018 17:58:15.308 [4] ERROR RedGate.Client.Service.ShellService - Error rebuilding runner: 
System.IO.FileLoadException: No known good package found.
   at RedGate.SimpleAutoUpdater.AutoUpdateClient`1.LoadKnownGood(Object[] constructorArgs)
   at ..()
08 Jun 2018 17:58:15.332 [4] ERROR RedGate.Client.Service - Failed to start service: System.IO.FileLoadException: No known good package found.
   at RedGate.SimpleAutoUpdater.AutoUpdateClient`1.LoadKnownGood(Object[] constructorArgs)
   at ..()
   at ..()
   at RedGate.Client.Service.Program.<>c.()
   at RedGate.Client.Service.Program..()
   at ..(String[] )
08 Jun 2018 17:58:15.334 [1] INFO  RedGate.Client.Service - Stopped
Tagged:

Answers

• RichardLRichardL Posts: 417 Gold 4
    Hi @shizik

Thanks for your post. 

If you're using SQL Prompt, can I confirm which version you're using? We had issues with the Redgate Client some time back but if you install the version of Prompt below it should then work for you. This version was released to days ago. 

ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SQLPrompt/06Jun2018/SQLPrompt_9.1.15.5260.exe

Do let me know how you get on. 

Best

Richard Lynch. 
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
  • shizikshizik Posts: 3 New member
    After few reinstalls and restarts the issue resolved itself. I was running the installer version that you pointed out. Seems to be working now, hopefully it stays that way.

Thanks,
    Marko
  • EskimoEskimo Posts: 1 New member
    Hi 

Is there anything specific you did to fix it? I am installing the latest version of red gate and I am getting an error that I have insufficient rights to create the service. When I try to run the exe manually I get a similar error to you

11:31:54 INFO : Starting...
    11:31:55 INFO : Autoupdate install directory set to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL
    11:31:55 ERROR: No latest package found.
    11:31:55 WARN : Failed to load plugins - reverting to last known good set
    System.IO.FileLoadException: No latest package found.
       at RedGate.SimpleAutoUpdater.AutoUpdateClient`1.LoadLatest(Object[] constructorArgs)
    11:31:55 WARN : Cannot set last package as 'Bad' because no packages have been loaded.
    11:31:55 ERROR: No known good package found.
    11:31:55 ERROR: Error rebuilding runner:
    System.IO.FileLoadException: No known good package found.
       at RedGate.SimpleAutoUpdater.AutoUpdateClient`1.LoadKnownGood(Object[] constructorArgs
       at ☻.♥.♣()
    11:31:55 ERROR: Failed to start: System.IO.FileLoadException: No known good package found
       at RedGate.SimpleAutoUpdater.AutoUpdateClient`1.LoadKnownGood(Object[] constructorArgs
       at ☻.♥.♣()
       at ☻.♥.♥()
       at RedGate.Client.Service.Program.<>c.☺()
       at RedGate.Client.Service.Program.☺.☺()
       at RedGate.Client.Service.Program.☺(Func`1 ☻, ILog ♥)
       at RedGate.Client.Service.Program.☺(Func`1 ☻)
  • shizikshizik Posts: 3 New member
    Hi Eskimo,

Seems like you are having the same issue. I really didn't do anything specific, just reinstalled and restarted my computer few times. I also downloaded again the same installer which does not make much sense but I didn't know what else to try. :)

In any case after repeating few times the same procedure it started working. Once it got working I didn't have any issue so far.
  • RichardLRichardL Posts: 417 Gold 4
    Hi @Eskimo & @shizik

Please try the latest version of Prompt, which released earlier today. 

ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SQLPrompt/27Jun2018/SQLPrompt_9.2.0.5601.exe

Kind regards

Richard Lynch. 

Customer Support
    Redgate Software
  • RickCRickC Posts: 3 Bronze 1
     I am having this same issue. No matter what I do -- reboot, uninstall, reinstall -- I cannot get the Redgate Client Service to start. It just terminates immediately. When I follow the steps recommended by Redgate Support -- using netsh http add iplisten 127.0.0.1 -- netsh reports "The file handle is invalid". In fact, no matter what command I give to netsh -- even the show command -- gives me the same result.

Starting to think something is rotten in Denmark (Windows), but I've scanned with anti-virus and anti-malware several times with nothing found...
  • ClaudiomedClaudiomed Posts: 4 New member
    Probably late to the party, but I had been dealing with this issue for a couple of days, until I tried this solution:  Redgate Client Service fails to start – Support (red-gate.com)

This finally solved my issue.
    Probably late to the party, but I had been dealing with this issue for a couple of days, until I tried this solution:  Redgate Client Service fails to start – Support (red-gate.com)