How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.

Alert settings - wildcard for level?

My customer has a standard disk configuration for their servers. C: is the system drive, D: is used for data files, E: for log files, and F: for tempdb.

In SQL Monitor I have set up a disk space alert, with low, medium, and high alert levels at 85%, 90%, and 95% full. This works fine and gives me time to request additional disk space before I need to grow file and potentiallly run into issues. However, the levels are not really appropriate for the system (C:) drive and I would like to change the thresholds for these disks.

The alert configuration menu allows me to tweak the settings for all servers, for a server group, for a specific server, or for one specific disk within one specific server. However, I do not see a way to customize this setting for the C disk on all servers. So I am basically looking for a wild-card like option within the configuration so I can change the setting for "All servers \ * \ * \ C:".

Does such an option exist already? If yes, where can I find it? If no, would this be a possible future expansion?

Thanks in advance!

--
Hugo Kornelis
(SQL Server MVP, 2006-2016 + 2019-now // Friend of Red Gate)

Best Answer

• Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Answer ✓
    Hi @HugoKornelis,

I was pretty sure I had looked into something like this before.  This post  is your best bet to being able to do this, though it is from over 2 years ago (and even then I said use it with caution).

There is not currently a way to select all of the same drive for all machines, but you should log a Uservoice suggestion for this as it would be handy

Hope that helps!

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

Answers