Options

Why won't SQL Data Compare prompt for key when loading backup that has TDE?

We’re using SQL Data Compare to compare a running instance with data from a backup that has TDE enable. We click on the padlock icon and nothing happens. (Per the SQL Data Compare documentation a clicking the padlock icon should cause a dialog box to display and you enter the password in that dialog.) No error messages, etc. Just nothing happens. 

SQL Data Compare version 13.3.1.5775.
SQL Server Version of backup 2016 compatibility level 120.
SQL Server Version of running instance 2016 compatibility level 120.

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    sam.blackburnsam.blackburn Posts: 224 Gold 2
    edited April 18, 2018 3:45PM
    As far as I'm aware SQL Data Compare can't read backups with TDE - if you have seen documentation to the contrary, please let us know where you found it so we can get it checked out.

SQL Data Compare has a UserVoice page for feature requests, but nobody seems to have requested TDE there.  I think it would also be quite a challenge to implement, since the master encryption key is stored on the master database and so wouldn't be contained in the backup you are trying to read.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    As far as I'm aware SQL Data Compare can't read backups with TDE - if you have seen documentation to the contrary, please let us know where you found it so we can get it checked out.

SQL Data Compare has a UserVoice page for feature requests, but nobody seems to have requested TDE there. 

I think it would also be quite a challenge to implement, since the master encryption key resides on the master database, and presumably wouldn't be in backup you are trying to read.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • Options

SQL Data Compare has a UserVoice page for feature requests, but nobody seems to have requested TDE there. 

I think it would also be quite a challenge to implement, since the master encryption key resides on the master database, and presumably wouldn't be in backup you are trying to read.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software