Detecting Database Drift with ReadyRoll and Octopus Deploy
1. Developer commits to git repo
2. TeamCity builds nupkg file for the migration and sends it to Octopus Deploy
3. I have the following environments on the Octopus Deploy side:
Dev -> Test -> Staging -> Production
4. I run the migration against the Dev environment using the built in ReadyRoll step in Octopus Deploy
5. If that passes, then I run it against the Test environment
6. Repeat for Staging, Prod
To be clear, TeamCity knows absolutely nothing about the target environments, Octopus Deploy manages them. I do not want to duplicate variables across both sides.
The problem I am having is that if I manually make a change to the test environment through SQL Management Studio (like adding a new column to a table) and then I deploy to Test using ReadyRoll I do not see any warning that drift has occurred.
I was under the impression that when running a migration drift detection should be occurring.
Do I need to configure my ready roll project in a particular fashion to make this occur?