Options

Is it possible to have ReadyRoll somehow generate a preview of what script which actually be run againsts the database.
I know that SQL Compare has the option to generate an interactive report as see here:https://documentation.red-gate.com/sc10/reviewing-the-comparison-results/generating-a-report
and the command line options here: https://www.red-gate.com/hub/product-learning/sql-compare/sql-compare-command-line (scroll to "Generate a report outlinging the changes".

I'm wondering if something similar is available to ReadyRoll.

I ask because, before a live release we have a process where the SQL script being run on the live environment is given a final once over and to view the changes, we have to:
  1. Download the package from Octopus
  2. Check which mirgation ids have already been run on live (select xx from migration table)
  3. Find all the migration id's in the package downloaded from Ocotpus and use this to view what will be execute
It's tedious and long winded, I'd like to be able to get a list of scripts that will be executed.

Is this at all possible?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    dnlnlndnlnln Posts: 234 Gold 2
    edited April 10, 2018 2:37AM Answer ✓
    Unfortunately it is currently not possible to generate a preview of your deployment within Octopus Deploy.

It is only possible to generate preview artifacts at build time at the moment. If have a license for ReadyRoll Pro, you can have your build server produce a side-by-side diff of pending schema changes in html format, as well as a SQL script containing a delta of the migrations yet to be executed (what we call a patch deployment script) based on a given SQL Server instance/database name combination (the TargetServer / TargetDatabase). In terms of what is displayed in Octopus: a summary of this information is added to the nupkg file at build time, which is then displayed on the release information page within Octopus Deploy.

Given that the artifact is only generated at build time, and not immediately prior to deployment, the downside is that the report could be out-of-date by the time it comes to deploy. Also, as the nupkg build is performed only once, you will only be able to report on a single environment.

For more information, see Continuous Integration > Preview/Diff Report and Octopus Deploy > Creating a release.
    Daniel Nolan
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software