Options

Can I Use ANTS to debug SQL Server Management Studio?

Here's a problem/question that I think should be right up your alley:

A few months ago, my SQL Server Management Studio 2005 (the client software, not the server) decided that it would like to randomly just go off on holiday and suck up all CPU cycles for no apparent reason. No network access/no memory changes -- just looping merrily along... This happens each and every time I run it, so is easily reproduceable.

This occurs after about the third or fourth query window is open; regardless of whether I'm running SQL server or any other software on the same machnine. It's gotten so bad that I've reduced myself to copying the query code into notepad after each query and trying to use the same query window over and over.

I'm running it on a laptop with 2GB of memory, about half of which is left unused, and there is no apparrent disk thrashing with the page file.

Searching the net, this problem seems to be occurring for many people, but the only reported solution I can find is to update the display drivers (? -- which I tried to no avail.)

Question 1: Has anyone else on this forum run into this and found a solution? I've tried performing a full removal and reinstall, but no help there.

Question 2: I'm wondering if I could somehow use ANTS to see where in the code Management Studio is cycling? It's my understanding that Management Studio is a .NET app; but I have little to no experience using ANTS. Could this be helpful?

TIA!

Tad Richard

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

You could profile SqlWb.exe, for instance, if you wanted to check the performance of a managed-code add-in for Management Studio. I don't think, however, that the core functionality of Management Studio is based in .NET, and at any rate, it would probably be difficult or impossible to fix without the source code to Management Studio.