Options

TLS 1.0 Disabled, can no longer Check For Updates or pull from TFS

Running version 13.0.2.5109 of SQL Compare, registered copy. Per our recent PCI audit, we had to disable TLS 1.0 on all our production servers. It is not an option to re-enable it for any reason. Now we are unable to use SQL Compare as it cannot connect: "The client and server cannot communicate, because they do not possess a common algorithm".

This happens when connecting to both our SQL Server and our TFS endpoint.

We are also unable to Check for Updates. I noticed this was reported as a bug in mid 2016 with the SQL Data Compare tool -- I'm hoping this is addressed by now, otherwise this fantastic tool is no longer useful to us. Give me some good news, please!

29fo7ezxmteg.png
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    RichardLRichardL Posts: 417 Gold 4
    Hi @brockweaver

Thanks for your post. 

I believe that if you use TLS 1.2 then your issue will be resolved. 
    Can you try that and let us know if it's okay? 

Also, what version of .NET do you have installed? If not 4.6, can you upgrade to this?

Secondly, can you open RedGate.SQLCompare.UI.exe.config (in a text editor) and find the lines:

<startup>
    <supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727"/>
    <supportedRuntime version="v4.0"/>
    </startup>

Remove the line containing v2.0.50727, save it and then launch SQLCompare and try again?

Kind regards

Richard Lynch. 
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    Actually, only TLS 1.2 is enabled on the 2016 sql server box.  That's when the problem appeared -- once support for TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 was removed from our db server.  We do have .NET 4.6.1 installed on the box where SQL Compare runs.  I upgraded to the latest version of SQL Compare (13.1.11.5591 Pro) before you responded and that fixed the issue.  But I do appreciate you following up!

By the way, what's the dilleo with the Asteroids game easter egg when you leave the Help | About screen up for a bit?  Just curious :)
  • Options
    RichardLRichardL Posts: 417 Gold 4
    Hi @brockweaver

Thanks for your reply. 

I'm glad it's all up and running again in the normal way. 
    Ah yes,Asteroid while you view the 'about' page. I thought it was just in Source Control! A bit of fun from our devs I guess. :smile:

Have a good weekend! 

Best

Richard. 
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software