Options

Getting PK error with Static data

Hello!

I'm trying to implement static data deployments with our current process and running into an issue. I've got a table with a PK but on the second time of deployment I get a "Use-DlmDatabaseRelease : Applying update script failed: Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'PK_NotificationType'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object". Isn't the DLM automation supposed to detect and handle that scenario?

Answers

• Options
    AlexYatesAlexYates Posts: 264 Rose Gold 2
    edited February 14, 2018 10:17AM
    You say "on the second time of deployment".

Have you tried to redeploy the same release against the same DB twice?

You should note that a DlmDatabaseRelease includes a specific upgrade script (in your case, I imagine it inserts some data). If you run the release twice it will try to run that upgrade script twice. This should be caught in the pre-deployment drift check (unless you have disabled it) and the deployment should be aborted.

If you want DLM Automation to generate a script on the fly to just make it match your source you should use the sync cmdlet instead. The idea of a DlmDatabaseRelease is that you can re-use the same deployment script in multiple environments. For example, if you wanted to do a dry-run deployment on a staging or pre-prod DB
    Alex Yates
    DevOps Mentor and Coach

Director of DLM Consultants
    Creator of Speaking Mentors
    Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Friend of Redgate
    Twitter / LinkedIn
  • Options
    Shawn_DShawn_D Posts: 3 New member
    Yes. I had deployed the same package twice to the same environment. We are using the template for Octopus as a base and using the New-DlmDatabaseRelease cmdlet for this deployment.

Can you provide a link or more documentation on how to accomplish this? Based on the documentation here https://documentation.red-gate.com/sr1/deploying-static-data-with-sql-release it was my understanding that it would handle that scenario as long as the PK is set on that table.