Options

Can't profile WCF service on IIS7

hey everybody,

I'm new to ANTS, just download the evaluation version.

I installed it on Windows Server 2008 and aim the profiler on the svc with the original url (without using different port option), what cause the iis web site to be stopped.

the problem is that i can't get to the service anymore once i start the profiling.

I also try the different port and it didn't help - can't get to the new url (with the port specified) by http request nor by wcf client .

as i understand from reading in the "How to" in the knowledge base, the ANTS profiler is opening listener outside the iis, so why i can't reach the new iis worker? I also noticed that the web browser opened by ANTS get 404 Error!

i need your help guy to figure out what i did wrong!

thanks,
Omer

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Omer,

All I can think of is that you may have run into a bug that happens when profiling ASP .NET 1.1 web applications on IIS 7. If you click the "more details" in IE and see the error code is 404.17, then it's because Profiler does not configure the app pool properly to run ASP .NET 1.1.

There is one workaround described for that here to install the 2.0 handlers:
    http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... 000314.htm

but if you want the website to run in 1.1, the only way to do it is using the ANTS Application Host 1.1.

If this is not the problem, please let us know.
  • Options
    Brian,

Thanks for your quick reply.

i guess it's not the case - my application pool running under v2.0 framework, in it's WCF service that's works properly so no intend to run under ASP.NET 1.1.
    the more details in IE7 don't give me the number of the error, so i can't know what is the exact error, this is the details i get from IE7:
    This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

Internet connectivity has been lost.
    The website is temporarily unavailable.
    The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
    The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
    If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.

if i can supply more info please tell me.

thanks for your help - my evaluation time is ticking :)

Omer
  • Options
    Can you please try hosting the WCF service in the .NET 2.0 application host? At least using this stand-alone program, you will get more specific errors logged in the event viewer if there are any problems launching the site. You can download it from ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/ANTS ... onHost.zip

The usage is fairly simple, you tell ANTS Profiler to profile a console application, point it at ANTSApplicationHost.exe, and enter the /URL and /PORT arguments in the arguments box.
  • Options
    I download your console and ran it to get the following problem:
    ANTSApplicationHost.exe /URL:"http://mydomain/myservice.svc" /PORT:8013 /BROWSE
    Configuring web host.
    URL to profile: http://mydomain/myservice.svc
    Answering on port: 8013

Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to
    an instance of an object.
    at ANTSApplicationHost.HostConfig.CreateAlternateApplicationHostConfig(String
    destination, Uri& url, Boolean profileOnNewPort, Int32 newPort) in C:\Users\Adm
    inistrator\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\HostableWebCore\HostConfig.cs:l
    ine 105
    at ANTSApplicationHost.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\Users\AdministratorDocuments\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\HostableWebCore\Program.cs:line 58

i look at the code a bit - and it seems it has some problem related to default app pool.

any idea?
  • Options
    Hi,

Sorry I don't know what's wrong. Maybe if I could see the applicationPools node of your applicationHost.config file, I could try to replicate the problem on my test computer.
  • Options
    I sent you my applicationHost.config file under support call F0018321