Options

SQL Prompt causes SSMS to hang

2»

Answers

• Options
    mbrooksmbrooks Posts: 3 New member
    Toggling 'Enable Suggestions' off does stop the hangs. I must have hit it twice by mistake. It's a workaround, but this is not a good situation.
  • Options
    gcomstockgcomstock Posts: 4 New member
    mbrooks, I toggled this feature on/off and it didn't help.  Redgate sent me a test installer with a test build that didn't help either.  At this point they have some logging files I sent them when this was occurring so I guess it's a waiting game now.
  • Options
    mbrooksmbrooks Posts: 3 New member
    I'm at a loss as why turning off prompts didn't help the first time but did after that.

I was working on a rather messy debug script when this started, and I wonder if there was a pattern to the script that clashed with a problem in SQL Prompt. I was making changes to columns in table variables when most if not all of the hangs occurred, especially adding new ones and then referencing them in queries. I was working locally with SQL Server 2017. Both SQL Prompt and SSMS had updated recently.

When the hangs started, my VPN was down and I brought it up in case "something" was trying to access the remote (Azure) DBs, a pattern I have seen before (not necessarily involving SQL Prompt). It didn't help.

The hangs were long, running a minute or more each, but not permanent for the most part. There was one that left the UI dead (no updating) and I had to restart SSMS. Eventually I restarted WIndows -- it didn't help. After that I just killed and restarted SSMS each time it hung, because it was faster than waiting for the hangs to resolve.

I saw flickering in the user interface during the hangs. This is not too unusual, because I run Windows in a VMWare Fusion VM on my MacBook Pro and the display can be a little strange sometimes. The flickering suggests that something was repainting constantly.