A little lost in Redgate SQL tools.. scripting db schema and scripting data

Several years ago I've been using Redgate tools for schema compare and data compare, also for packaging databases for deployment. I just installed an evaluation version of SQL Toolbelt and have run into problems related to the tools' functionality, as they are no longer intuitive to me.

In particular, I would like to find out:
1) how to script a db schema using SQL Toolbelt tools? I can do it from SSMS, but what is missing from it are the PRINT statements, that Redgate tools inserted to provide progress information, which affects my automated programmatic deployment process. I need the PRINT statements in order to get SQL script execution progress using SQL Server SMO objects in .NET.

2) how to script data from a db, also with included PRINT statements, providing progress information? Again, I can do it from SSMS level, but it's not exactly the same as I remember when I was using an older version of SQL Toolbelt.

Basically, in 1) I want to point a Redgate tool to a DB and tell it to generate DDL script (with PRINT statements inside, providing progress information), and in 2) I want to point a Redgate tool to a DB and tell it to generate INSERT statements (also with PRINT statements inside, providing progress information).

How do I do that?

PS. There should be a forum for an entire SQL Toolbelt suite, not only a particular tool. From the current names of Redgate tools, I cannot infer where my questions truly belong.

Comments

• AlexYatesAlexYates Posts: 264 Rose Gold 2
    You can script this stuff out in SQL Compare or SQL Data Compare, but I would use Redgate SQL Source Control. This allows you to link your dev DB in SSMS to your VCS or just a plain old directory on your filesystem ("working folder") and to keep it up to date.

However, it won't give you the PRINT statements.

For deployment, if you already own SQL Toolbelt, why don't you use DLM Automation to handle deployments in the recommended and supported fashion? Unless I'm mistaken the upgrade scrpits it generates will have your PRINT statements.
    Alex Yates
    DevOps Mentor and Coach

Director of DLM Consultants
    Creator of Speaking Mentors
    Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Friend of Redgate
    Twitter / LinkedIn