Options

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage - 1.1 and IIS7

Hello,

I am trying to profile an aspnet 1.1 web application hosted in IIS7 (Windows Vista)

I start a new profile session, set it up for IIS7, framework 1.1, and it seems to work nice, i can see the first page of the web app, but whenever i try to go to another page, clicking on a link or writing in the address to a diferent page i always get the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

The problem seems to be the one documented here - http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/Content.aspx?p=ANTS%20Profiler&c=knowledgebase%5CANTS_Profiler%5CKB200810000314.htm , but i cannot make it to work correctly, i already changed the application from 1.1 to 2.0 in IIS7 and still couldn't profile it.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    If you click on "more information" in ie and see the 404.17 error code, the documented fix of running the application in the 2.0 framework should solve the problem. However, as ANTS Profiler does significant changes to the application host configuration, it may be causing some other problem. In addition, we have run into some 1.1 web apps that refuse to run in the 2.0 runtime.

You may want to try hosting the website in the .NET 1.1 version of the application host, which doesn't reconfigure the application pool in the same way as ANTS Profiler does.
  • Options
    Hi, tanks for the answer.

I tried hosting the website in the .NET 1.1 version of the application host, but i am still having some problems, i followed the instructions on the readme.txt file, but i am always getting the message "site is not running".

bcb2d9a6f8.jpg
  • Options
    The error code claims that the application host config file that the application host created by modifying your existing one has invalid XML. If you could PM me the original applicationHost.config, maybe I can work out what the problem is. It may be a virtual directory nested in an application or something like that.
  • Options
    Thanks for the config file. I don't see anything obvious. Can you check your application event log after using the application host? If you do get the "invalid XML" error code, there should be one or two supplementary entries in the event log with a source of HostableWebCore that have more specific information, such as "too many applications" or something similar to that.
  • Options
    In the event viewer i got this message:

The Windows Process Activation Service encountered an error trying to read configuration data for config section 'system.applicationHost/sites' from file '\\?\C:\Users\jgomes\AppData\Local\Temp\tmpAppHostConfig.config', line number '261'. The error message is: 'Cannot add duplicate collection entry
    '. The data field contains the error number.

In line 261 it has this:

<bindings>
    <binding protocol="http" bindingInformation="*:8013:" />
    <binding protocol="http" bindingInformation="*:8013:" />
    </bindings>
  • Options
    Hi,

Thanks, that makes it pretty obvious that when you have two bindings on the same TCP port, the application host creates duplicate bindings.

I've put up a new build which should preserve the host header bit.

ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/ants ... Host11.zip

I'm guessing that ANTS Profiler is doing the same thing to the website configuration.
  • Options
    thanks, that solved the problem, i can now profile it.
  • Options
    Thanks for the update! I can confirm that ANTS Profiler is creating the website bindings in the same way, and this may be what has caused it to fail in the first place. I've logged a bug with the development team with reference AP-1649, so it should be fixed in the next release.