Options

no databases in listbox

I downloaded and installed SQL Search 3 on SSMS for SQL Server 2016. A SQL Search tab appears when clicked but there are no choices available in any of the dropdown boxes for object type, databases or server. If I connect to multiple servers, they don't appear in the server listbox either. This a fresh install of both SQL Server and SQL Search. Thanks for any help.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi,

Thank you for your forum post and sorry that you have encountered a problem.

Would you please run the following query in SSMS:
    SELECT name, state FROM sys.databases ORDER BY name

This is the query that SQL Search runs to find which databases are online. The SQL Search GUI should show all databases whose state is 0 (online, normal), and only if there are none should it disable the dropdowns.

However, if you don't have permission to query sys.databases, then you'll see the same thing?

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    dpaproskijrdpaproskijr Posts: 4 New member
    Hi,

Thanks for your response. I'm sysadmin so permissions shouldn't be a problem. The result of the query is 17 rows for 17 databases, all with status = 0.
  • Options
    Hi,
    Thank you for the reply.
    I have added the details of this post to a Bug Report whose reference is SDI-729. I will update this topic when I have news of a possible bug fix.

Thank you for bringing this problem to our attention.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • Options
    JustinjjaJustinjja Posts: 2 New member
    Getting the same thing, is there a fix for this?

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 13.0.15000.23
    Latest SQL Search downloaded today.
    Windows 10
  • Options
    We're currently looking into this problem. The bug report reference is SDI-729

In the mean time, I'd suggest rolling back to version 3.0.4. You can download it using this link:
    ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SQLSearch/17Nov2017/SQLSearch.zip

The downside of this, is that you will need to uninstall V3.0.7.1683 first, before reinstalling V3.0.4.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • Options
    dpaproskijrdpaproskijr Posts: 4 New member
    Thanks, but that version doesn't work either. I uninstalled and reinstalled and the About SQL Search dialog now shows Version 3.0.4.1599
  • Options
    JustinjjaJustinjja Posts: 2 New member
    I got this working by upgrading to SQL Server management studio 17.4 and uninstall / reinstall SQL search