Backup failed with VDI Error

jaydeveloperjaydeveloper Posts: 4
edited December 22, 2008 1:07PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

I have SQL server with database(65 GB) consist of 6 secondary files. Everyday i am using Full backup file of database to restore as reporting database. Its always been a problem of consistent Execution of the DTS package which include
- Step 1 - Drop Database
- Step 2 - Restore Database
- Step 3 - Set Permissions to allow reporting application to connect to restored database
I am receiving following errors

SQL Log Messages

udopen: Operating system error 32(error not found) during the creation/opening of physical device F:\Data\Last_Secondary_File.NDF.

FCB::Open failed: Could not open device F:\Data\Last_Secondary_File.NDF for virtual device number (VDN) 8.

Event Viewer Error Messages

17207 :
udopen: Operating system error 32(error not found) during the creation/opening of physical device F:\Data\Last_Secondary_File.NDF.

17204 :
FCB::Open failed: Could not open device F:\Data\Last_Secondary_File.NDF for virtual device number (VDN) 8.

There is no other process or job running in parallel that might interrupt this restored process and anyway i am using backup(taken about 6 hours before restored process) file to restored database.

Thanks alot

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

I believe that I am already working on this issue with you. The call reference for this Support Call is F0017956.

I have looked at the SQL Backup Log File you sent to me as requested. SQL Backup is reporting that it cannot open the backup file for restore:
    12/16/2008 10:00:03 PM: Restoring RLL_BO (database) from:
    12/16/2008 10:00:03 PM: F:\Data\RESOURCELINK_RLL_FOR_RLL_BO_FULL.sqb

12/16/2008 10:00:03 PM: RESTORE DATABASE [RLL_BO] FROM DISK = 'F:\Data\RESOURCELINK_RLL_FOR_RLL_BO_FULL.sqb' WITH RECOVERY, MOVE 'RL_DATA' TO 'F:\Data\RLL_BO\RLL_BO_DATA_01.MDF', MOVE 'RL_AUDIT' TO 'F:\Data\RLL_BO\RLL_BO_AUDIT_01.NDF', MOVE 'RL_EMPLOYEE' TO 'F:\Data\RLL_BO\RLL_BO_EMPLOYEE_01.NDF', MOVE 'RL_HEALTH' TO 'F:\Data\RLL_BO\RLL_BO_HEALTH_01.NDF', MOVE 'RL_HISTORY' TO 'F:\Data\RLL_BO\RLL_BO_HISTORY_01.NDF', MOVE 'RL_INDEX' TO 'F:\Data\RLL_BO\RLL_BO_INDEX_01.NDF', MOVE 'RL_WORK' TO 'F:\Data\RLL_BO\RLL_BO_WORK_01.NDF', MOVE 'RL_LOG' TO 'F:\Data\RLL_BO\RLL_BO_LOG_01.LDF', PASSWORD = 'XXXXXXXXXX'

12/16/2008 10:00:04 PM: Error: Cannot open file "F:\Data\RESOURCELINK_RLL_FOR_RLL_BO_FULL.sqb". The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

This indicates that SQL Backup Agent Service cannot open the backup file to restore. I suspect that the account given to the SQL Backup Agent Service does not have security permissions to the backup file folder.

Can you please check that the startup account given to the SQL Backup Agent service as permissions to the backup file folder?

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com