SQLCompare.exe terminated with the exit code 79: Databases not identical

Hi Team,
I am having issues with data-only migration script. Below are the steps I am following.
1. I created a table and checked in to source control and deployed to database server.
2. Next I am creating a data-only migration script with Insert into statement to populate my table which is building successful but failing during deployment with error as below.

SQLCompare.exe terminated with the exit code 79: Databases not identical

However renaming a table with migration script working fine.
Please advice.

Regards,
Kailash
Tagged:

Answers

• Hi Kailash,

Can I ask what version of Compare you are using? We had seen a bug similar to this a few weeks ago and released a fix in version 13.1.3.5405. If you are on a version earlier than this could you try upgrading to the latest version of Compare and seeing if the problem persists?

Thanks,
    Asha
  • Hi Asha,
    I am using DLM Automation 2 and TFS extensions to build and release my database changes. However SQL Compare 12 is installed in our TFS build server. As of now I can't upgrade it as its a lengthy process in my project.

Regards,
    Kailash
  • Hi Kailash,

In that case, what version of DLM Automation 2 are you using, and is this easy to update? Version 2.0.24.578 of DLM Automation 2 contains the bug fix as well.

Thanks,
    Asha
  • Hi Asha,

I am using DLM Automation 2.0.14.412 version. Any update will require a change request in our environment. I'll check with the concerned team about updates to the version you have mentioned.

On another note, I renamed the table and added some manual data. After that Insert is working with data-only migration script. Very weird situation.

Regards,
    Kailash
  • Hi Kailash,

Yes, the bug involved was where we were failing to map tables internally with the same name if a table with the same name also existed in a different schema, for instance if there were tables [foo].[tablename] and [bar].[tablename].

If it is easier than upgrading the DLM version then another workaround would indeed be changing the table name, as you've discovered.

Thanks,
    Asha
  • Hi Asha,
    I tried to use an unique name for a new table and again faced the same issue. Also when I tried to rename it then also got the same error. Seems like upgrading is the only choice to see if it will work.

Regards,
    Kailash