GUI spinning on startup

We are having issues with one of our servers, where the icon for the server in the GUI keeps spinning for a long time 5-10 minutes on startup, until it is finished nothing really works for the server with a problem.

Another "NEW" server works fine. We removed backup history over a month old, without luck.

The GUI is running the below query for the selected server, which takes ages to finish. When we fire the query manually on the server even with @dt a year back it finishes within 2-3 seconds)

We cleaned up backup history on the server, is there anything else we need to cleanup?

When the spinning is finished, the GUI works fine, also selecting a restore point for the database is pretty fast.
(@dt datetime)SELECT backupset.backup_set_id,
backupset.backup_set_uuid,
backupset.backup_start_date,
backupset.backup_finish_date,
backupset.type,
backupset.database_name,
backupset.backup_size,
backupset.user_name,
backupset.media_set_id,
backupset.name,
backupset.description,
backupmediafamily.logical_device_name
FROM msdb..backupset AS backupset
JOIN
( SELECT media_set_id,
logical_device_name
FROM msdb..backupmediafamily
WHERE ( ISNULL(logical_device_name, '') = ''
OR ( logical_device_name LIKE 'Red Gate SQL Backup (4.%' )
OR ( logical_device_name NOT LIKE 'Red Gate SQL Backup (%' ) )
AND physical_device_name NOT LIKE 'SQL%'
GROUP BY media_set_id, logical_device_name
) backupmediafamily
ON backupmediafamily.media_set_id = backupset.media_set_id
WHERE backup_start_date > @dt
The query is showing ASYNC_NETWORK_IO waittype, but the servers are connected on 10GB in the same vLAN, it seems like the resultset is read VERY slowly.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Dan BDan B Posts: 287 Gold 5
    Hi,

Apologies for the delay in replying here, this one appears to have slipped through the cracks. There is an open bug report for the this with internal reference SB-4400.

Luke888888 is correct in that the bottleneck is the way we are reading the results, I will chase the developers and see if I can get some kind of update on this ticket.

In terms of other things to try, your last option after clearing everything up is to stop the SQL Backup Agent service, go to C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Data\<INSTANCE NAME> and delete the data.sdf file, then restart the service and this will re populate the backup history locally.

Please do let me know if you still have problems.
    Kind regards,
    Dan Bainbridge
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Answers

• I have been observing a similar issue for a long time now. It is most frustrating since I just want to be able to quickly fire up the Application and check that backups have been running properly. It takes so long as to be almost unusable. Normally I give up and go and look in my backups directory instead of using the GUI.
  • Luke888888Luke888888 Posts: 2 New member
    Any Redgate personal reading this?

At least a confirmation that this is an issue or some kind of response would be nice.