Options

Need to reinstall sql prompt after reboot

Hi all and thanks for listening,
I need to reinstall sql prompt after I reboot my machine. I had the problem with ssms 2016 and hoped that by upgrading to ssms 2017 would help but no luck.
When I reboot sql prompt is no longer active. If I go into sql prompt -> help -> manage license it tells me that it cannot connect with the server. This works fine after I reinstall.
sql prompt -> help -> check for updates works fine.
Example: I install SQLPrompt_8.0.5.1758 - works fine
Reboot the machine and SQLPrompt_8.0.5.1758 no longer works so I check for updates and it tells me that 8.2.5.2924 is available, so I upgrade and it works fine.
Reboot the machine and again it no longer works so with no upgrades available I have to uninstall sql prompt and reinstall SQLPrompt_8.0.5.1758 again to start the cycle over.
Any help would be great, I have tried disabling the firewall and restarting the service.

Thanks,
Marty
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi @Marty_C!

The Redgate client service is a Windows service that has been installed on your machine. SQL Prompt needs to connect to this service on startup in order to validate your license.

At first it sounds like the service has stopped for some reason, or it may not be starting up when you reboot (though it is set to start automatically). Then the reinstall would make sense because that would start the service again. If you've already tried restarting the service though, it sounds like something else may be going on.

Can you please send us a few of your SQL Prompt log files from %localappdata%\Red Gate\Logs\SQL Prompt 8 from when the problem happened, as well as a zip file of your Redgate Client service logs in c:\programdata\Red Gate\Shared Client\Log?

Thank you!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?