Unresponsive SQL Data Compare

I am currently setting up a new laptop and have move from Windows 8.1 to 10 and SQL Server 2008R2(dev) to SQL Server 2016. I have downloaded the tool belt and attempting to transfer the data between the two SQL Server. However SQL Data Compare just goes into great lengths of time of "Not Responding", even after completing a compare, deploy and re compare. (I have currently been looking at the options screen for over half an hour waiting for it to close).

Does anyone have an idea of what might be happening?
Tagged:

Answers

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Sorry to hear you're running into performance issues with SQL Data Compare, @sarei!

The log files can hopefully give us a better idea of what's causing the stalling. Can you please enable verbose logging from Help>Logging>Minimum log levels, restart SQL Data Compare and reproduce the issues, and then send over the resulting log in %localappdata%\Red Gate\Logs\SQL Data Compare? (If you don't want to post it here, you can send it to support@red-gate.com with the subject "Log file for #101522")

Can I also just check--are these databases on the larger side? If you compare two small databases, do these issues still occur?

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• sareisarei Posts: 7 New member
    Yes the databases are quite large. I have run through a step by step analysis and sent a word document. I'm now repeating the process with verbose logging. I'll try to test on smaller database / tables. It appears that memory is being used near the beginning of the deployment, after generation of the script, but not being released until the application is shut down.