Options

SQL Data Generator hanging when generating data

I was working with SQL Data Generator 3 and as of a few days ago, whenever I try to generate data for a table it takes an EXTRAORDINARILY LONG amount of time to generate just a few rows. It's taking about 20-25 minutes to generate 1,000 rows. This used to only take a few seconds. When I hit the 'Generate Data' button the progress bar many times will rush to 100% complete and then sit there for over 20 minutes until it actually finishes.

I don't see any blocking in SQL Server nor do I see any high CPU, Memory, or Disk usage on my machine.

The only strange thing that has happened to my machine in the last week or so is that I'm having permissions issues when BCP'ing data...not sure if this is related. I solved the problem by granting permissions to certain directories at the OS level.

I tried upgrading to SQL Data Generator 4 but it has the same problem.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    sbendayansbendayan Posts: 18 Bronze 1
    Of course, right after I posted I found a solution....I changed the 3 Foreign Key columns on the table to 'Foreign Key Manual' and the time is back down to a few seconds. Before it was on 'Foreign Key Automatic' and it was taking 20-25 minutes.
  • Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    I'm glad to hear you've found a workaround, @sbendayan!

It is odd that the 'Foreign Key Automatic' option was causing such a slowdown. I wonder if the table/column that you used manually was significantly smaller than the one used automatically? If you'd like to continue troubleshooting it, please let us know!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?