How to set Microsoft.TeamFoundation.VersionControl.Controls to TFS2017

DanielJDanielJ Posts: 2 New member
edited November 1, 2017 6:30PM in SQL Source Control
So I just got a new computer that does not have any other version of Visual Studio other than 2017. I have installed SSMS 2017 to connect to our database and setup Redgate to connect to our TFS2017 instance.

I am getting the following error when trying to check-in changes:
nternal error in Work Items. Error loading the Work Items policy (The policy assembly 'Microsoft.TeamFoundation.VersionControl.Controls, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=' is not registered.). Installation instructions:

I went to the link and it is requesting VS2012 instance or install the 2012 TFS power tools.This, I do not want to do.

I then found this link to override Source Control engine to use a specific version of TFS here:
https://documentation.red-gate.com/soc6/troubleshooting/error-messages/the-team-foundation-server-for-this-workspace-does-not-support-one-or-more-of-the-checkin-options-you-have-selected

Sweet, so I set my engine up to use TFS2017.

Error now:
To use this database with SQL Source Control, you must have Team Explorer installed. This is installed with Visual Studio. If you have Team Explorer 2013 or later, you also need to either use SQL Server Management Studio 2012 or later, or install an earlier version of Team Explorer (eg Team Explorer 2012). You don't have to uninstall Team Explorer 2013.

I do have Team Explorer installed but somehow it is not seeing it. I need to be able to use Redgate with VS2017 without having to use 2012 power tools. Has anyone run into this?
Tagged:

Answers