Options

Error while creating VHD

JoeriDCJoeriDC Posts: 2 New member
We are currently testing SQL Clone and we have manged to install it. When we want to male an image from a database or existing backup we receive the error:

Error while creating VHD at ....test_00000009_hax\vhd': Could not attach virtual disk ....\test_00000009_hax\vhd. Error message: A required privilege is not held by the client (VhdException)

The account for the agent is the same as the SQL instance and has full access to the file share.
Is there any specific security required?
Thanks in advance
Joeri.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Hi, could you double check that the user account the SQL Clone Agent service is running as has local admin privileges on the machine it's running on?
    Software developer
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    JoeriDCJoeriDC Posts: 2 New member
    Thank you for the reply.
    I have added the account explicitly on the machines to be sure. normally they are because they are in the AD Groups. Accounts have full control on the file shares.
    I have the same exception.
  • Options
    Hi, apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

I've been looking into possible reasons for getting this error message despite having local admin privileges. Do you use any systems which provide additional access protection, e.g. McAfee VirusScan Enterprise? It's possible that this could be blocking the operation being performed by the SQL Clone Agent.
  • Options
    @ChrisHurley did you manage to resolve this. I have also installed a trial version and are experiencing the same issue.

The service account is a local admin on the agent server and the server running the clone website.

Anti virus is not blocking the process
  • Options
    owen.hallowen.hall Posts: 57 Silver 4
    edited November 27, 2017 3:43PM
    Hi - just as a diagnostic, could you pop open Local Security Policy (secpol.msc), navigate to Local Policies->User Rights Assignment, and have a look under 'Perform volume maintenance tasks'? The agent user should be a member of at least one of the groups under that heading. You can check that via 'Edit local users and groups' (lusrmgr).
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software