Options

Comparing tables with different owners

bbainsbbains Posts: 5
Your application seems to recognize only tables with the same owner. Is it possible for me to configure it to not do this? If not, is it possible to get this feature on an enhancement list?

I use your data compare tool quite frequently during the ERP implementation and upgrade projects. In most of these instances I am comparing tables between different environments (e.g. test & production). It is typical in my experience for the tables to have different owners in each environment.

I am able to work around this currently, but it becomes a pain when the tables are quite large (>1M rows).

Thanks,

Buddy
Thanks,

Buddy

Comments

• Options
    SQL Compare looks at the objects in the two databases you are comparing. The object identity of a table is made up of the owner and table name i.e. dbo.Customers.

So if the owners are different the objects will be different and SQL Compare will not match the two for a comparison.

To resolve this you can run a store procedure called sp_changeobjectowner and change the owner to match the other database.

Dan
    Daniel Handley
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Options
    Thanks, Daniel. Unfortunately, renaming the object isn't an option since this would break the application using the database. I am currently having to make a copy of the table using a different owner.

Is it possible to have the following request submitted as an enhancement to a future version of the product:

"Allow user to self-select objects to compare so that objects with different owners may be compared."

Thanks again,

Buddy
    Thanks,

Buddy
  • Options
    I have put this forward to the development team. However it is unlikely to be considered until the next major version.
    Dan
    Daniel Handley
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Options
    I just wanted to add that I too would greatly benefit from this enhancement. Like bbains, I deal in many different environments and quite often due to shared hosting plans and the difference between development and Live deployments need to compare databases with different owners. While renaming the objects on a development server and then changing it back is doable, this is not always an option.

I look forward to seeing this enhancement in a future version.

Kerry
  • Options
    I agree. I would find this feature extremely useful.
This discussion has been closed.