How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.
Options

Unable to get the performance of monitored SQL server

Hi,

I am newbie here, and would like to evaluate the product to resolve daily routine issues with SQL.

I have added a server in SQL Monitor, and can see the DB's reside on it and also some alerts for backup overdue.

Unfortunately I couldn't figure out why I can't see the SQL server performance graphs under Analysis tab.

Although I can see monitored server events log and WMI showing connected.

Could you please help me to fix this issue.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    AatifAliAatifAli Posts: 5 New member
    Thanks for the cooperation from all of you.

Issue resolved with assistance of Redgate Support. It was due to multiple base monitor with single NIC

Answers

• Options
    Do you get the missing information in Perfmon itself, outside of SQL Monitor?
    Have you visited our Help Centre?
  • Options
    Thanks for the response, I can check the server and SQL performance by other means like through PRTG.

Some how I noticed events of Clock Skew on the monitored server, which lead to the time syncing issues.

Both instances running in AWS in same AZ but with different VPCs. I have Windows 2016 with SQL 2016 Server which need to be monitored and SQL monitor itself installed on Windows 2016 with SQL Express edition. I am accessing the monitor server through it's local IP and added via hostname using host file instead of DNS name.

I am working to sync the time on windows 2016 server manually, but it also has the challenge to change a time on Production SQL server.

Any suggestion would be really helpful for me, as I have to explore it and quickly purchase it to get the commercial support as well.
  • Options
    Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,132 Diamond 4
    Hi @AatifAli

I think clock skew can cause missed data collections, but I would expect it to be intermittent rather than not showing any data (and for more than just SQL Server collections).

The other thing is how large is the data repository (RedGateMonitor database) on the SQL Express instance? The max database size for Express is 10GB and depending on how active, the size of queries, the number of entites, data purge settings and how long you've been monitoring it could be over this size limit which would prevent us from adding more data to the repository - so we would be collecting it successfully but it wouldn't be stored successfully and so wouldn't be visible in the UI.

Another thing to try would be to restart the SQL Monitor Base Monitor service to see if that helps.

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Options
    Great to see the response.

I have already tried by restarting the server and the service many time.

I have installed the SQL Monitor server with Express edition in trial mode, as I would like to test the functionality first, and it has 12 days left out of 14 in evaluation.
    I have added first server in it yesterday, so I don't think it reaching the maximum DB size limit currently redgate db size is 328 MB.

• Options
    I'd say that you need to fix your clock skew issue first, but fire the logs over to support and we can take a look.
    Have you visited our Help Centre?
  • Options
    Hi Russel,

Thanks all of you for your kind support,

I have submitted a support ticket and attached the logs on Request #100381

Once again thanks for your support and prompt responses.