SQL Server Monitoring / Unreachable SQL Server

I am testing the application SQL Monitor 7.1.5.8837 and have problems connecting to our SQL Server.

I try to monitor a SQL cluster not in our base network. I am connected via VPN and have full administration permission on the target cluster. The tool recognise and add all nodes correctly and WMI metrics are shown correctly.

The issue I have is that it shows the SQL instance as unreachable.

All ports are open, I can ping the server and I can connect to the instance with SSMS without any issues. Other monitoring tools I test at the moment can also connect fine.

I noticed that the server instance name is shown as (local) in the node list and in the error log page as <full qualifier>\(local).

Could that be the reasons? The instance name is <full qualifier> - without the (local)

Thanks
Tagged:

Answers

• Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,150 Diamond 4
    Hi @MH_City

When looking on the Configuration > Monitored servers page, if you right click on the SQL instance that is having the error it should give you the option to "Show log". If you do this, it will give you a bit more information on what the issue may be - if you can share this that would help.

Also, if you can let us know if you are specifying a specific user for the Windows host and SQL instance level or if you are using the base monitor service user that would be useful to know as well.

When doing the tests are you doing them from the base monitor machine to the machine you are monitoring as the user specified above (whether the base monitor service user or a user specified on this screen)?

The (local) just means it's the default instance (i.e. if you look at the services it will show "SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)" which is accessed by using the machine name.

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • MH_CityMH_City Posts: 2 New member
    Hi Alex,

thanks for the answer. The error message is more or less the same for the different events:

"A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - No such host is known.)"

I can ping the server name though and the WMI services for the nodes run fine.

There is also an error in relation to WMI (for the SQL part?):

OpenNamespace: root\cimv2
    "The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)"

Please note that the WMI stats for the cluster and the nodes are coming in fine!

So I am at a loss why the SQL part of the monitored cluster shows "unreachable" and why it shows WMI errors (shouldn't it gets its data directly from the SQL server connection?)

I am monitoring from my computer within the base network. The accounts used are the windows administrator account of the host machine and for the SQL part I used various SQL Server accounts (sysadmin user) as well as various Windows Host User accounts.

Thanks,
    Martin