Is there a way to look at a database instance and see which changeset is deployed?

I'd like a way to be able to inspect a sql database programmatically and see which changeset is currently deployed to it.

Answers

• Hi @SKIT,
    if you're not using any tool for deployment, SQL Source Control is not related to this task. You can understand the version and the drift using DLM Dashboard.
    Alessandro Alpi
    CTO @ Engage IT Services s.r.l.
    Database Administrator and Team Leader
    Microsoft MVP - Data Platform
    Staff member of getlatestversion.it community
    personal website | blog
  • SKITSKIT Posts: 2 New member
    I mean once I've used sql source control to check in my database to TFS, then deployed it to production using sql compare. If another developer wanted to know which TFS build was currently deployed, is there a way to check? Or could my app somehow programmatically read from the database which TFS changeset is currently deployed, and display it in the app?
  • AlessandroAlpiAlessandroAlpi Posts: 91 Gold 2
    edited October 1, 2017 6:20PM
    SQL Compare is an helper for deployment. It generates diff scripts, it doesn't mark the "version" of the release and it doesn't allows you to link the changesets. Since you're using TFS, you could comment a changeset in order to know if it's ready for deployment, but if you want to know the information release by release, you should use a combination of a build server and a release management tool.
    Take a look here, DLM Automation. You can use also the Release Management tool in TFS.
    Alessandro Alpi
    CTO @ Engage IT Services s.r.l.
    Database Administrator and Team Leader
    Microsoft MVP - Data Platform
    Staff member of getlatestversion.it community
    personal website | blog