Options

RESOLVED: SQL Data Compare Issue: 2000 vs. 2005

bboicebboice Posts: 24
I just exported (DTS) a database from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005. Eveything went well. I now have the db migrated.

I wanted to use SQL Data Compare to make sure the dbs are identical in that regard; however, it appears that SDC is unable to compare databases on the two platforms without extensive manual intervention with mapping, etc.

Is there a better way to do this? Is it a configuration issue with SDC or just one of those SQL Server issues?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Is the problem that entire tables aren't mapping to each other by default (i.e. you don't get anything in the Tables and Views tab by default), or that the columns aren't mapping by default / a default comparison key isn't found?
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    Hi Michelle,

I experience the message "502 tables or views that could not be compared". I can choose to Remap the Table or View. If I do that, then I have to assign a comparison key for all 502 objects.

Bob
  • Options
    That sounds like it can't find a default comparison key for your tables. Do they each have a unique index / primary key? If the tables have no indexes or only have nonunique indexes, Data Compare just leaves them unmapped because we don't want to just guess a comparison key and get it wrong (nonunique comparison keys can cause confusing behaviour, so we don't want to use something that SQL Server doesn't tell us is unique).
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    Thank you, Michelle!